lancetkenyon

Two New Rifle Upgrades Coming Soon To An Addict Near You...

That has to hurt a bit knowing you paid for a bunch of machine work and the gun comes apart looking like that. In the original condition photo of the action you can also see the locking lug for the bolt looks rather rough.

Does anyone know how Remington finishes the front of the actions? The marks left on them are a bit odd. They make me think the front of the action was ground.

Looks like saw tooth marks to me, but no clue.

All is well now, as Axisworks has me all trued up now.

• Like 1

When I noticed the "weight sorted" claim on a Nosler box I decided to compare them to 25 brand new Remington cases. It was .300 RUM brass.

Remington 273.08 to 277.54 for a 4.46 variance.

Nosler 289.78 to 290.74 for a 0.96 variance.

• Like 4

When I noticed the "weight sorted" claim on a Nosler box I decided to compare them to 25 brand new Remington cases. It was .300 RUM brass.

Remington 273.08 to 277.54 for a 4.46 variance.

Nosler 289.78 to 290.74 for a 0.96 variance.

My finding have been very similar with the Nosler brass. Just as good of weight sorting as my Lapua brass. Plus, their prep work is very nice too. No need to uniform primer pockets or deburr the flash holes.

I recently weight sorted 400 pieces of Remington .300RUM brass.....wow. If I remember correctly, approximately 12 grains of difference across the 400 pieces.

Got a bit of time yesterday (at the end of a 14 hour reloading day) to do some brass prep for the .280AI. Got it all ready to load once I get the rifle from AxisWorks.

Primer pockets touched up. I think only 3 needed just a shave, but ran all 100 pieces through just to be safe.

Weight sorted, all within 1.3gr. 214.4 to 215.7gr. All base to shoulder with a .375 gauge were within .002" for headspace. Without rifle, or a fired case, I don't know what my chamber will be like.

Neck sized just to round a few out and ensure proper neck tension to start with. Neck thickness is .016" on the Nosler brass.

All 100 pieces annealed and primered with Fed GM210M.

20170709_191623_zpsw4gn9rom.jpg

20170709_193325_zps19fejwdx.jpg

20170709_193334_zpsbkdo9nrf.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours!!!! Your crazy

When was your turn around time for that rifle?

I got a LOT done in that 14 hours.

Not sure on the turn around time for the rifle....but it can't come soon enough. Since I didn't draw any deer tags, this rifle will 1st be carried by my cousin on a late elk hunt, but if I get load development done in time, it will be a back-up to my lighter weight elk rifle at the end of September. Which is coming up really fast.

I'm really excited to see how your gun turns out from axisworks !

Since you are looking to shave some weight did you consider the PT&G aluminum shroud? I may go that route when I get my bolt back from LRI in a couple of weeks.