Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Public Range Frustration

If I can find the time to reload some ammo this week, I will head to Payson on Saturday and join so I can use the 200-300 yard range. It only takes me about 1 hour to drive there, small price to pay. I actually shot there once last year, but only at the 100 yard public range.

• Like 2

Shot at Jim Jones today. I joined so I could use the private range. Night and day difference. Myself and one other guy had the range to ourselves. Able to call our own cease fires. No range Nazis breathing down our neck. Well worth the drive.

• Like 1

There are about 5 or 6 million reasons why I would never live in Maricopa county. That is one.

Shot at the Southeast Tucson range yesterday...pretty busy and nobody yelling about anything. One kid got talked to about stopping at his shooting table during cease-fire, but handled very politely. Maybe the heat has everyone on better behiavior. :D

• Like 1

Jimmy Jones is a great shoot, but beware the road is closed when it rains hard as it turns to mud. The range faces south such that in the winter with a low sun this can be a problem. Personally I like a desert shoot, but it is basically closed right now for good reason.

Regarding placing items on the bench or toeing over the yellow line while the range is cold think more deeply about what it would be like to be the RO on a public range. Things being dropped, flipped onto tables in your peripheral vision would give you the creeps and make you draw the line that nothing gets placed on the table when the range is cold. Toes on the line, really?!?. Why is so hard to just stay behind the line. If a 1/8" over is ok, why not 1/4", 1/2" or 6". This is why dress codes are so strict at some companies, some people just don't have common sense and push the limits just to test authority. I know it is an American thing and I do it too, but not when firearms are involved.

• Like 3

Jimmy Jones is a great shoot, but beware the road is closed when it rains hard as it turns to mud. The range faces south such that in the winter with a low sun this can be a problem. Personally I like a desert shoot, but it is basically closed right now for good reason.

Regarding placing items on the bench or toeing over the yellow line while the range is cold think more deeply about what it would be like to be the RO on a public range. Things being dropped, flipped onto tables in your peripheral vision would give you the creeps and make you draw the line that nothing gets placed on the table when the range is cold. Toes on the line, really?!?. Why is so hard to just stay behind the line. If a 1/8" over is ok, why not 1/4", 1/2" or 6". This is why dress codes are so strict at some companies, some people just don't have common sense and push the limits just to test authority. I know it is an American thing and I do it too, but not when firearms are involved.

Well said and I get why the RO's are the way they are. I became used to their rules early on when shooting at Usery and never had an issue with the RO's.....although I have seen them over react to others quite a few times. My biggest issue with Usery Mountain is the idiots there shooting.....just not my scene. I have been up to Jim Jones each of the last 2 weekends and it was a pleasure to shoot there. Well worth the extra hour for me to get there, cooler temps, and more consistent with the elevations I hunt. Now if they could just expand it to 500+ yards.

We used to shoot ground squirrels off the bluffs but then the range dudes put an end to that. Be careful on the 300 range if there are guys on the pistol bay #6. Dad and I were dodging slugs flying down the road

We used to shoot ground squirrels off the bluffs but then the range dudes put an end to that. Be careful on the 300 range if there are guys on the pistol bay #6. Dad and I were dodging slugs flying down the road

The pistol bay problem has been solved. A few years ago some upgrades were done to JJ which included raising the berms on the members only range. I have had slugs land near me when walking the 300 before the berm was raised.

I run into similar problems as well. Nothing worse than trying to check on your zero groups and having hot casing raining onto you from the guy next to you shooting his micro draco pistol

• Like 1