Sign in to follow this  
chuckster

6.5X55 SE Handloading - Whats its potential?

I'm looking for handload info from those of you experienced with the 6.5X55 SE. I'm curious about what kind of velocity I can safely attain in a modern action. I'd like to get a new 6.5 for this fall and am considering both the 6.5X55 and the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I like the new Tikka T3X and have been considering a Ruger American as well, but don't really want to replace the cheap stock. It will be a hunting rifle and something else to shoot when I get the urge. I'll probably stick to bullets it the 140gr range in either cartridge.

The Creedmoor appears to top out at ~2700 fps with 140gr pills. The Swede sure seems like it could have a lot of potential in one of those new Tikka's!

The Swede will do about 100-150 fps faster, plus or minus, with like pressures, barrel length, and powders, etc. Simply a case capacity question...

I love the 6.5x55. I have a sporterized mauser that shoots really well, and I am probably going to get a CZ in 6.5x55 soon too.

• Like 1

You should be able to run up around 2900 no problem. Like most 6.5s H4350 seems to be the ticket in the swede.

You should be able to run up around 2900 no problem. Like most 6.5s H4350 seems to be the ticket in the swede.

Can you get that in a 24" barrel?

When I was shooting a 6.5x55, I didn't load it to it's full potential, I was shooting a .260 in one gun and a Sweede in another, using about 38 grs. of VV-N-150, if memory serves.

Yeah should be able to just fine in a modern action. Somewhere around 42 grains of H4350 should put you right in there.

Yeah should be able to just fine in a modern action. Somewhere around 42 grains of H4350 should put you right in there.

I thought that case would hold a few grains more, closer to 48.

• Like 1

Yeah it will hold it but in my experience, 42 grains generally works pretty good. The Swede is probably the most forgiving cartridge I have ever loaded for.

• Like 1

Hi Stomp, thanks for weighing in. Forgot to add, the Tikka has a 22.5" barrel. I'd be real happy with ~2900 fps. Sound doable with the shorter barrel?

I have R19 and R17 on hand, which is a hair slower than H4350.

I'd be interested to hear reports on the 143gr ELD-X and 142gr NABLR if anyone as experience with them.

R17 may be the better option if you are wanting more speed. For pure accuracy though 4350 of some sort is very hard to beat. Speed is nice but it definitely isn't everything. There is nothing you can do at 2900fps that you couldn't do at 2800fps, just take a couple extra clicks to get there is all.

• Like 2

If you are going to stretch it out past 300 yards or so even 100 fps at the muzzle becomes irrelevant. Accuracy always trumps velocity in this cartridge, as with most. You can chase it but in the end you will settle for striving for it.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, your right on the accuracy comment. I may have jumped the gun on the 2900 fps.

last night I placed an order for a Tikka-6.5X55, dies, and, lapua brass to get started. I'm on the lookout for some H4350.

• Like 1

In my 6.5 creedmoor I gained 75 fps with hornady superformance powder in a tikka ctr 20 inch barrel

I have been reading excellent things about reloader 16 as well. All the benefits of 17 but with temp stability. I found a pound in Tucson last week but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It doesn't have to be H4350 either, Accurate 4350 is a little easier to find and is also an excellent powder choice. I was reading a thread over on long range hunting the other day with a guy claiming to get over 2800fps out of his Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creed and given the larger case capacity of the Swede case you should be able to eclipse that pretty easily I would imagine.

• Like 1