Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Wild Horses

Can anybody give me a reference as to where the "wild" horses are located?

I have heard of the ones on the salt river and of horses up on the rim but now I have these showing up on my trail cam in 3C Cottonwood wash close to the FS300 and then we spotted a herd on the west side of Heber as well???

I am curious what the "count" is for number of horses in the area?

post-2034-0-10528600-1498455239_thumb.jpg

And my favorite picture on my cam!!

post-2034-0-48650200-1498455306_thumb.jpg

These are not wild horses, they are feral horses. There are hundreds of them on black river.

• Like 2

I have seen the horses from just East of Forest Lakes to Show Low and from Rim Road to 260, especially in the burn. That's a big hooved invasive species consuming massive amounts of feed.

• Like 1

After AGFD addresses the buffalo issue successfully they need to turn their attention to the wild (feral) horse issue that is accelerating rapidly in concern.

• Like 1

Allowing feral horses is the most backwards wildlife management practice out there. They need to get rid of them. I suppose I'm going to get labeled a horse hater now, or a bigot.

• Like 4

Last time I checked, the hunting of feral animals is not regulated by federal or state law.

• Like 1

I have seen the horses from just East of Forest Lakes to Show Low and from Rim Road to 260, especially in the burn. That's a big hooved invasive species consuming massive amounts of feed.

and water.

so so many this weekend from mesa to show low

• Like 1

These are almost all descendents of rez horses and horses let loose during tough economic years when people could not sell horses or afford to feed them so they turned them loose.

I have hundreds on my cameras in 3c and have for many years...just getting worse..

I've heard about them in 3C from several people and was cautioned not to turn you back on a stallion if you come across one. Should be interesting, my bro-law has an archery bull tag up there.

I've heard about them in 3C from several people and was cautioned not to turn you back on a stallion if you come across one. Should be interesting, my bro-law has an archery bull tag up there.

These are almost all descendents of rez horses and horses let loose during tough economic years when people could not sell horses or afford to feed them so they turned them loose.

I have hundreds on my cameras in 3c and have for many years...just getting worse..

Yep......half my SD card is full of horses!!!

There are a lot in Heber area. I ride around and if I don't see horses I see tons and tons of droppings. All over the area. I don't remember a trip riding when I have not seen several.

Last time I checked, the hunting of feral animals is not regulated by federal or state law.

I don't know about that I feel that something just passed about protecting the horses around the salt river. Maybe not all horses but at least those ones.

I love horses, I most likely could not participate in a "hunt" for them, but I completely support the effort to eliminate or at very least drastically reduce horses on public lands.

• Like 2