Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

2017 Buffalo House Rock Ranch

Been fun guys but I am leaving out of here. Got to go see if my trailcam are all burned up.

My first reaction to someone blocking a road for me would be pulling out my phone and recording the interaction or at least take pics. Then you could go to g&f, or another state law agency and prove a law was broken. It's kind of funny that one person makes unsubstantiated claims and everyone takes it as truth without hearing the other side.

• Like 2

id drive right passed them and shoot the buffalo out the window of my truck on the grand canyon side. thats a lot more ethical than blocking a public road for your hunters. thats really low imo. if they really do that.

• Like 1

I know nothing about this hunt. Could someone put a map on this. Park boundry and "The Russ" hunting spot. Just curios no tag or no intentions.

I'm thinking about going up there just to drive the roads now... anyone want to have UTV races?

• Like 6

From you guys that have done this hunt how about a few tips!

Can you walk the fenceline? Where is the best place to shoot one to anchor it? Are their areas that have buffalo that don't get hunted for whatever reason? Any other buffalo attractants that might work besides salt? Go early in the season or late? Which hunt is the best? What would you do differently given another chance?

Have the bison moved east or west of the locations from this old map(attached)? Are there salt locations on the west of this map?

post-4655-0-55540100-1498784961_thumb.png

I dont know how the park works, but with my?. Is it possible to send incognito hippie scouts into the park to push the bison back to the other side. Yeah a Posse. Break on through to the other side.

Sounds like the guides way or the highway. I'm sure all the DYI guys that dont scout love the the guides way, go up use his equipment, tell you where the buffs might come in, gives you a blind location, radio, etc. yea that sounds great. Not my cup of tea. If I'm on the hunt I'll do what I want, if I find a spot where they are coming in, I'll be there first. If I'm the second then I leave to plan B. There's been so many times I have had to use pan B,C, and Z. Only person I'm pissed at is myself. But if someone tells me I can't hunt there, or is blocking roads, telling their clients to shoot over me, well they got another thing coming.

. I was never told where I had to hunt I was given suggestions. There were always options discussed at the group meeting. This hunt is not for everyone I will admit. It is unique in that it does require cooperation of the group. I promise you if everyone went up there and hunted wherever they wanted with no organization the hunt success would drop like a rock. This hunt is not easy I walked 50+ miles sat over 100 hours in a blind and loved every minute of it. Bottom line it is what you make it and your options in Arizona are pretty limited.
  • Like 5

My experience was closer to yote, jmall, tombharvey than the OP but good on him for warning people who think they can go up there and do their own thing. Russ' nephew Cody was there with us most of the time and he is a great kid who worked his butt off to help me. Russ was in and out of camp along with his son. Other than 500 lbs of salt and C note each for Cody and Jacob I didn't pay Russ a dime. I was bound and determined to get mine and was indeed successful with two days left to go. I am grateful for all the help Game and Fish and the Jacoby family provided me with this hunt.

• Like 7

Here's another angle on this… Who keeps the salt blocks up , hauling 50 lbers ( lots of them) into the established sights, all year long , not just during the hunts? Russ and company. Who invested all the money on ground blinds that he will let non paying hunters sit in? Russ and company. Of course he is going to do his best to help his paying clients kill a bison, but he also wants everyone who is lucky enough to draw a tag to fill their tag. Russ is a good guy who does have a vested interest in the hunt. Does he think he owns the forest? I don't believe so, in fact he joked about another guide having that attitude when I hunted with him in 2014. I was lucky in that I hunted in January and we did not sit salt, we still hunted and were the only hunters in the area do to the amount of snow restricting access. The summer hunts are another thing entirely, and one person can have a negative impact for all the other hunters by running around and spooking the buffs back into the Park. Considering all the moving parts of coordinating people and positions, I think he does a pretty good job and treats people fairly. Why wouldn't he put a paying client on a hot lick first over someone who isn't paying? Running the operation takes a ton of time and money, I can't imagine how many runs from Flagstaff to the south end of the plateau he makes a year.

• Like 6

I can respect the guides time and effort out in to the hunt and trying his best for all hunters. But does it mean that someone who shows up first that day can't sit in their own blind on a hot area? Or a DIY guy can't go wherever he chooses? I agree it may mess up the hunt for everyone but it's still an AZ hunt right, not a private land hunt.

• Like 3

Here's another angle on this… Who keeps the salt blocks up , hauling 50 lbers ( lots of them) into the established sights, all year long , not just during the hunts? Russ and company. Who invested all the money on ground blinds that he will let non paying hunters sit in? Russ and company. Of course he is going to do his best to help his paying clients kill a bison, but he also wants everyone who is lucky enough to draw a tag to fill their tag. Russ is a good guy who does have a vested interest in the hunt. Does he think he owns the forest? I don't believe so, in fact he joked about another guide having that attitude when I hunted with him in 2014. I was lucky in that I hunted in January and we did not sit salt, we still hunted and were the only hunters in the area do to the amount of snow restricting access. The summer hunts are another thing entirely, and one person can have a negative impact for all the other hunters by running around and spooking the buffs back into the Park. Considering all the moving parts of coordinating people and positions, I think he does a pretty good job and treats people fairly. Why wouldn't he put a paying client on a hot lick first over someone who isn't paying? Running the operation takes a ton of time and money, I can't imagine how many runs from Flagstaff to the south end of the plateau he makes a year.

So, we have "other" rules set by another hunter? For money? (see bold/underlined text)

Sorry, I have to go up north now and start creating "hot licks" on my favorite elk watering holes for this years hunt! If you see my salt, you guys need to leave!

Clearly this is a case that the G&F should clean up.

• Like 1

Don't worrry, after the "government" guys come up with a plan and send in their hired snipers. This hunt will be a thing of the past.