Sign in to follow this  
truehunter

2017 Buffalo House Rock Ranch

Truehunter I call BS and you a flat out liar, a bitter, ignorant liar! I was on the first June hunt this year and Brian is one tough, honest, hard working guy!! If it wasn't for him helping a non-paying hunters I wouldn't of got my bull! Yes I was a paying client, I did my research and I wasn't going to sit in Russ's blinds, over his salt, his cameras, use his radios and not pay anything! You're full of crap, 4 non paying clients tagged out before me and I was the 2nd if 3 paying clients to harvest. A 3rd from ND didn't tag out I heard. I don't see Brian telling anybody to shoot over anybody's head! I've talked to both Briand and Russ a fair bit and that is not at all how they operate! As far as your claim to Russ blocking roads, another lie, when he came up on the weekends he was clearing roads! Yes they want control, they bloody know the area like the back of their hands and the bison, do you? The answer to that is no, but you are ignorant and bitter cause you didn't tag out. Every night Brian would talk to each and every Hunter, get the radios to charge overnight and in the morning hand them back out and send the hunters out. Brian put me on a spot that he flat out said that it is known for only bulls and big ones and they didn't come in as often as other places known for cows and single bulls and asked if I was ok with that. I was, 6 days later he asked if I wanted to move, gave me two options and after talking about it we decided in a spot the day before a non paying client killed a bull. He helped them cut it up and hauled over half if it out for them cause he knew if he didn't they'd still be there in the morning hauling meat out and nobody would have a chance there. So because of Brian and his hard, unselfish work I got my bull! No Russ doesn't want people driving all around up there "scouting", you're only a hundred yards to 200 off the park boundry, they already know which spots the bison are hitting, they are on top of it daily!! This bison hunt is not like any other hunt, and this complaining about how Russ runs it, really don't understand it cause they haven't talked to him much it Brian or they have a huge ego problem! It's their salt, their blinds and they ask for nothing in return, yet there is always ungrateful idiots like you that will complain. As far as Brian refusing to pick up a client, don't remember if you or somebody else said that, that is a lie too! Brian dropped me off every morning and picked me up every evening like clockwork. My truck was totaled last September and still fighting the insurance company (long story). I had to go up there in a Prius, I was able to haul a couple hundred pounds of meat back to Mesa and on the way the hide and cape, skull to the taxidermist and two days later I met Russ in Flagstaff to get the rest if the meat. Amazes me the likes from ignorant, ego plague cry babies! Guess what also buddy, I don't see Russ going anywhere. I'm putting in my baby Mama's 11 year old and 13 year old in for the hunt as well as the mom and will use Russ again for each hunt! You didn't tag out, keep applying, no need to make up likes! This hunt is unlike any other which means different tactics that aren't used anywhere else or very very few places. Grow up, suck it up!

Truehunter I call BS and you a flat out liar, a bitter, ignorant liar! I was on the first June hunt this year and Brian is one tough, honest, hard working guy!! If it wasn't for him helping a non-paying hunters I wouldn't of got my bull! Yes I was a paying client, I did my research and I wasn't going to sit in Russ's blinds, over his salt, his cameras, use his radios and not pay anything! You're full of crap, 4 non paying clients tagged out before me and I was the 2nd if 3 paying clients to harvest. A 3rd from ND didn't tag out I heard. I don't see Brian telling anybody to shoot over anybody's head! I've talked to both Briand and Russ a fair bit and that is not at all how they operate! As far as your claim to Russ blocking roads, another lie, when he came up on the weekends he was clearing roads! Yes they want control, they bloody know the area like the back of their hands and the bison, do you? The answer to that is no, but you are ignorant and bitter cause you didn't tag out. Every night Brian would talk to each and every Hunter, get the radios to charge overnight and in the morning hand them back out and send the hunters out. Brian put me on a spot that he flat out said that it is known for only bulls and big ones and they didn't come in as often as other places known for cows and single bulls and asked if I was ok with that. I was, 6 days later he asked if I wanted to move, gave me two options and after talking about it we decided in a spot the day before a non paying client killed a bull. He helped them cut it up and hauled over half if it out for them cause he knew if he didn't they'd still be there in the morning hauling meat out and nobody would have a chance there. So because of Brian and his hard, unselfish work I got my bull! No Russ doesn't want people driving all around up there "scouting", you're only a hundred yards to 200 off the park boundry, they already know which spots the bison are hitting, they are on top of it daily!! This bison hunt is not like any other hunt, and this complaining about how Russ runs it, really don't understand it cause they haven't talked to him much it Brian or they have a huge ego problem! It's their salt, their blinds and they ask for nothing in return, yet there is always ungrateful idiots like you that will complain. As far as Brian refusing to pick up a client, don't remember if you or somebody else said that, that is a lie too! Brian dropped me off every morning and picked me up every evening like clockwork. My truck was totaled last September and still fighting the insurance company (long story). I had to go up there in a Prius, I was able to haul a couple hundred pounds of meat back to Mesa and on the way the hide and cape, skull to the taxidermist and two days later I met Russ in Flagstaff to get the rest if the meat. Amazes me the likes from ignorant, ego plague cry babies! Guess what also buddy, I don't see Russ going anywhere. I'm putting in my baby Mama's 11 year old and 13 year old in for the hunt as well as the mom and will use Russ again for each hunt! You didn't tag out, keep applying, no need to make up likes! This hunt is unlike any other which means different tactics that aren't used anywhere else or very very few places. Grow up, suck it up!

So now tell us how you really feel!
  • Like 2

John... wow. All I can say man. Wow

Congrats on your hunt. I'm glad things worked out for you.

I know I'm not alone on this matter as there are several others that have had similar stories. And same thing they post something and are quick to get shut down. Yes on my hunt I was unsuccessful. Probably could have been successful had I hunted a few more days. But called it quits early because I did not enjoy the type of hunting of sitting in blinds. Much rather chase deer and elk. I think there was great success. 10 out of twelve tagged out. Many to credit for Brian's work. But the reality for me is a successful hunt is not based on harvesting an animal. It is the type of hunt and if I am having fun doing it. Like you said in your post grueling to sit in a blind day in and day out.

To me that isnt my style and the reason why I decided to post this to inform others for a once in a lifetime tag it's not as glamorous as one might think.

I said before I should have prob kept my Russ comments to myself because All those that support Russ and his operation. Call me a liar call me pouting or what you want. Truth is it happened. I sat three days with one of his guided clients who told me that was why he was there sitting by my blind putting him in an awkward position.

Hind sight maybe I should have played their rules and taken one of their radios and listened to where they wanted me to sit. Thought I could maybe do it spot and stalk. Almost sealed the deal couple times and had I been driving around w my son and dad could have slammed a giant. But I was in a blind.

Makes me think if they work so hard for no paying clients then why would anyone want to pay for their guide services?? Just a thought to those that draw this tag in the future.

But man such harsh words on this site right? I'm sure after this post many more will cutting down my words saying how terrible I am for speaking the truth that one guide runs the show up there. Just realize the principle you support by having one man run the operation and take away from diy hunting and told what they should do. This is how hunting is becoming and everyone fighting w others just like what's happening with this post.

i could have been successful and still would post the same about someone sitting a blind while I was there first or blocking roads not allowing other to pass regardless of how many hours they put into scouting salt licks etc. that should not justify actions. I did not use their blind because I felt that was not right of my part if I did. I have camera picks of mike rice and azgfd dumping salt. So I can justify that just like sitting water.

Anyway think I have made my point. Some may agree and some may disagree. Cool. I won't take part of the name callin. I'll sign off and close my side of the discussion and let you all believe or support what you want.

Good luck to everyone in the draw and happy hunting!

• Like 2

Well stated truehunter.

One thing I've learned over the years here on CWT is that you're not allowed to have a dissenting opinion. No matter the topic, from specific hunting tactics to calling out the BMOC, the herd mentality takes over and you'll be carved up faster than a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Good luck on all your future hunts with your family. That's what it's all about.

• Like 1

Well stated truehunter.

One thing I've learned over the years here on CWT is that you're not allowed to have a dissenting opinion. No matter the topic, from specific hunting tactics to calling out the BMOC, the herd mentality takes over and you'll be carved up faster than a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Good luck on all your future hunts with your family. That's what it's all about.

You are allowed to dissent, you just have to have thick enough skin to hear people disagree with you.

• Like 2

Well stated truehunter.

You are allowed to dissent, you just have to have thick enough skin to hear people disagree with you.

I agree. But when it delves into Jr High name calling, I lose interest.

• Like 1

I for one glad Truehunter posted this, brings up some good info for the hunt. You betcha the paying clients are going to get those primo spots, I wouldn't see it any other way. But if a DIY hunter beats a high paying client to a spot, the paying client better go elsewhere. Just because someone dumps a ton load of salt in a area does not make it theirs or gives them first rights to that spot. If I'm going down the road and see a note saying someone is sitting a blind, I'll turn around and go elsewhere.

• Like 3

I for one glad Truehunter posted this, brings up some good info for the hunt. You betcha the paying clients are going to get those primo spots, I wouldn't see it any other way. But if a DIY hunter beats a high paying client to a spot, the paying client better go elsewhere. Just because someone dumps a ton load of salt in a area does not make it theirs or gives them first rights to that spot. If I'm going down the road and see a note saying someone is sitting a blind, I'll turn around and go elsewhere.

I agree with you on the statement that is first come first served on public land but you're missing a very key issue on this hunt that is different then elsewhere. No one should be going into these blinds in the dark. It gets light at 4:15am up there in the summer and the buffalo are almost always on it in the dark and will linger just after light. While I was there all of the 5 buff killed were killed by hunters that snuck in on them on the salt at first light. If Truehunter really was the "first one there" he was massively screwing not only himself but every other hunter with the tag by blowing buff off in the dark. This is the exact thing they are trying to curb through cooperation. If it's a first come first served free for all then people will start coming in a 4:00 then 3:30, then 3:00 and all the buff will be blown back into park in the dark. Again, prime reason why if people work together they kill buffalo. You are very cordial and respectful in saying that if you saw a note saying a hunter was down the road you would back off. That is exactly what the radios and morning huddles do, let everyone know where every hunter is, they even have a marker board to put everyone on to keep it straight. True hunter decided to not do morning huddles and take a radio because he didn't want to know that info. He knew that if he ignored it he could do what he wanted. No different then if you were driving down a road to a tank and saw a note that may say there is a hunter on the tank please be courteous and decided to look the other way and keep driving. That is exactly what he elected to do in this situation. Truehunter didn't kill because he wanted to buck the system out of principle. We get it, it's not his type of hunt, wasn't mine either but I didn't turn into a name caller and start a thread, I sat in the blind for 140 hours to never have a buffalo come in and then went home and started researching other hunts to do in the future. Truehunter had one of the best hunts that will probably ever happen again on the kaibab. The stars aligned for a bull hunt and the success rate proved it. He could have come on and said blind hunting stinks and it wasn't my type of hunt (which he has several times) and moved on but he looked for a scapegoat as to why he was the only able bodied hunter (I heard that the other unsuccessful hunter was special needs) to not kill and he found that in Russ and Brian. I've had many other unsuccessful hunts that I've blamed on poor rut, full moon, fog, or just flat not hunting hard enough, but I've never gotten home and figured I needed to put the entire blame of my lack of success on one person.

• Like 3

I guess I can't stay away.

Other hunters name was Broc. He is a student at nau not special needs.

I got to the blind at 4:30 am left a sign at front of road staying where I was hunting and a red cooler in the front. Other hunters arrived at 5am at the blind.

I found during the hunt most buffalo were killed in middle of day during my hunt.

Just for clarification

Also wanted to state for public knowledge. Jon7979 shot his buffalo off a tank called jons tank on the east side. I believe that's the name. Those buffalo hit for three days straight. Three bulls. Other two were bigger than the one he shot. So seems some of the buffalo are even hitting the east side and not only the west if you are doing your own scouting or hunting. Got cam pics of it all.

I would gladly post some pics and videos of my hunt. Just can't figure out how to upload on this site for some reason. Maybe someone help me figure this out.

Also wanted to state for public knowledge. Jon7979 shot his buffalo off a tank called jons tank on the east side. I believe that's the name. Those buffalo hit for three days straight. Three bulls. Other two were bigger than the one he shot. So seems some of the buffalo are even hitting the east side and not only the west if you are doing your own scouting or hunting. Got cam pics of it all.

I would gladly post some pics and videos of my hunt. Just can't figure out how to upload on this site for some reason. Maybe someone help me figure this out.

Jon killed his bull on H salt. It was from a herd of cows calves and young bulls. There were two or three DIY hunters that killed on days leading up to that off same salt. I was there. I heard one hunter was special needs and had opportunity but hadn't killed as of last few days but I will admit I wasn't there. Maybe it was you!?!? Any other wisdom for us?