Sign in to follow this  
IA Born

Fishing Outfit Rant

No goods or services have to be exchanged for it to be a valid charge.

how? i dont think that would stand up in court. maybe youre a lawyer.

Nope, not a lawyer. I just play one on TV. :P

My only point is that non-refundable deposits have been around for ever. If you sign a contract or acknowledgement that you understand the policy and that if you cancel there will be no refund (or partial penalty, cancelation penalty, etc.), then you owe it. The fact that non-refundable deposits have been standard practice in many business's for so long tells me that the concept has already been challenged and held-up in court. Call me crazy, but in the history of business, I'm guessing it has been challenged at least once (likely many times) in court already.

No goods or services have to be exchanged for it to be a valid charge. The policy of 'non-refundable deposit' in business has been around a LONG time. Plus, in the internet age, the act of actually signing something has taken on a whole new meaning as well.... Willingly giving your card number knowing that there is a non-refundable deposit policy, I think would pretty much qualify it as a valid charge.

S.

It's on their website, so if you book it from there you have basically agreed to it. I work construction so if a project has a snafu and shuts down, no workie no paycheck. Pretty hard to reschedule at the last minute as we schedule people out three weeks ahead of time. So the kids don't eat, while usually never brought up goes without saying and was right to the point. Maybe after some continued arguing? These guides jobs are seasonal and every paycheck counts, like it or not. Most places like this are Mom and Pop operations with guides usually on a 1099 or working as a sub-contractor. If the main operation doesn't take in money that day they don't have the cashflow to just fork out a days wages. No Tickey/No Shirty. You contested it and if you loose the guide has to go 90 days before they get their money, if it goes in their favor. So how many times do you think they go through that in a season? Their weekly/monthly expenses don't get deferred for 90 days, do they? How would you deal with it if the guide had a car accident or family emergency and was a no show?

FWIW

I am really sorry your family was put in harms way. I am really sorry you are out money and don't have a fishing experience to show for it.

I think we (myself included) have gotten really used to the wal mart return policy culture. The one where it's ok to use a product for a week decide you don't like it get buyers remorse and return it for a full refund. The wal mart, Nordstrom, and Amazons of the world have really conditioned us to think we as consumers have a lot of power because of their lenient return policies and such. However I think we give up more "rights" if you will than we ever know when we check the "terms and conditions boxes." It doesn't even have to be a legal document signed by a notary. Topic for another post but one example is by going to a pro sporting event you essentially waive rights to let the team use your image how they want to without your Consent. Billboards, magazines stuff they would have to pay people for they now can use for free because buy buying the ticket you agreed to. These Policies are there for the stores and business and they can legally excersize if they choose.

• Like 1

If this was my kids and this situation... I'd be miffed at the money but wouldn't care in the bigger picture. Plus, I can't blame the outfitter who needs to keep the guides happy. It sucks but it could be worse than this by a log shot.

• Like 1

nuthin like goin' balls deep in an ignernt midwestern twat....just effen listen for the........sigh.....lol...

Lmfao. You're turning into my favorite poster real quick

Okay since you asked this is just my opinion. Some people say your right some people say your wrong. I say believe in what you believe FFFFFF every body else. Am I not suppose to say the FFFFFF word?

It's their policy, it's not a law or statute. I have a policy that I don't do business with companies that have ridged arbitrary policies,