Thanks to those who offered advice on my previous 6.5X55 Reloading Thread

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/73806-65x55-se-handloading-whats-its-potential/

Took my new T3 to the range today. Shot 10 different 5 shot strings with both Reloder 23 and Reloder 26, shooting 143gr ELD-X,Lapua Brass, COAL 3.174", .003 off the lands, 22.4" fluted barrel. R26 showed higher velocity and got me up over 3050 fps but all R26 loads were right at, or a hair over 1 moa at 100 yards. Didn't see any classic signs of high pressure, but the brass offered more resistance than I'd like when I resized them. The R23 showed exceptional accuracy in loads between 2830 and 2865 fps (See pics below) and the brass resized effortlessly. I gotta say, this gun is a joy to shoot, weighs a little over 7 lbs scoped and all I did was put in a $7 varmint trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith, swap out the T3 Stock for a Takeoff T3X stock, and put on a limbsaver pad. I'm really impressed with the factory trigger, and it breaks cleanly at 1.3 lbs. with the new spring. I might do a little more work with the R26 or some VV N560 or MRP to see if there is an accuracy node around 2900fps, but for now, I'm more than happy with how it shot today and plan on hunting with this load in October. The R23 seems like a winner in the 6.5 swede!

post-13726-0-65794800-1499638797_thumb.jpg

avg. 2860 fps

post-13726-0-13714000-1499638802_thumb.jpg

avg. 2863 fps

post-13726-0-81711100-1499638806_thumb.jpg

avg. 2843 fps

• Like 3

Looking good

• Like 1

Nice.

What scope did you go with?

• Like 1

Although I have no experience with N-560 powder, I have shot quite a bit of N-550. The 500 series of VV powder is temp sensitive. Had a guy from the east side of Texas come here for our nationals in 2005, his loads were warm in Texas, his gun blew up on him.

• Like 1

Switch to the 147 and I bet it tightens up even more. I have yet to find acceptable accuracy with the 143s but the 140s and 147s have shot very well for me.

• Like 1

Nice.

What scope did you go with?

Went with a VX-3 4.5-14 30mm CDS that I had sitting here. Put it in some X-low talleys.

Although I have no experience with N-560 powder, I have shot quite a bit of N-550. The 500 series of VV powder is temp sensitive. Had a guy from the east side of Texas come here for our nationals in 2005, his loads were warm in Texas, his gun blew up on him.

Good to know about the N560, re-thinking that now. Thanks!

Switch to the 147 and I bet it tightens up even more. I have yet to find acceptable accuracy with the 143s but the 140s and 147s have shot very well for me.

I had not really considered the match bullets as this is a hunting rifle and I've never used a match bullet for hunting. What are your thoughts/experience with the 147gr as a hunting bullet? Can you comment on the terminal performance of the match bullets?

Bergers Hybrids do very well on game. Hornady Amax are the ELDs-Matchs with new heat tips to with stand the long range heat that would melt the older Amaxs tips. Lots of people used the Amax from coyotes and Elk!! They performed great!!! I never heard of anyone as of yet that an Amax pencil through probably because of the tip on it. I have 147s coming too. If they do better than my 143s Im switching!!!

• Like 1

Lots of people use Match on game, and some bullets do better for match. In this order that I have (read and watch on video only)

1st- Hornady Amax or ELD-m

2nd Bergers Hybrids ( ive heard of VLDs penciling through at long range but ironically not the Hybrids)

3- Sierra Match King- Some do very well and I ready some still killed but small cavity holes.

I always shot Nosler accubonds and they did great. They mushroomed but they had a quarter (coin) size hole entrance and a quarter (coin) exit on 3 animals. I would like to see a 2-3" hole on the exit but never got it. None of them bleed at all but died right away. So mostly it really matters on shot placement and the bullet should do its job.

• Like 1

I grew up shooting a sporterized Mauser 6.5 x55. Those groups and velocities are outstanding. Great all around performer. Really happy to see your results.

• Like 1

Bergers Hybrids do very well on game. Hornady Amax are the ELDs-Matchs with new heat tips to with stand the long range heat that would melt the older Amaxs tips. Lots of people used the Amax from coyotes and Elk!! They performed great!!! I never heard of anyone as of yet that an Amax pencil through probably because of the tip on it. I have 147s coming too. If they do better than my 143s Im switching!!!

Thanks for the insight. I'm wondering if the slower burning R26 Might be a better match for the 147s???

I shoot a lot of match bullets on game. All have performed great.

.308 215 Hybrids from a .300RUM on elk

.308 175 SMK from a .300RUM on elk

7mm 180 Hybrids from a 7RM on elk

6.5mm 140 Hybrids and 142 SMK from a .260 Rem & 6.5 SLR on yotes

.224 69 SMK from a .223 on bunnies, yotes, and javalina

.257 100 SMK from a .250AI & .25-06AI on yotes and javalina

I have 230 Hybrids in my .300RUM ready to go for my elk hunt this year.

I will be shooting either a 168 HVLD or a 160 TMK from my .280AI I am building. Might try the 140 Hybrid in my 6.5 SS too.

Another thing that has been eating at me is the groups with the R26. I shot the R23 between 7am and 830, then the R26 Between 830 and 11am. I noticed that my barrel was cooling fine during the R23 test and not cooling much, if at all for the R26 test. I just cant shake the Idea that the R26 groups could have been similar to the R23, if the barrel hadn't been so much hotter. Does anyone have any tips for cooling barrels when its hot out? I've been reading about a towel soaked in cold water or alcohol and using canned air, anyone have experience with that? I was in the shade and used the chimney method but it wasn't helping much later in the morning.

You could try the canned air but that's a lot of mass and once it's hot it will take a while to cool down.

• Like 1

I have seen guys trying wet towels and other methods. My concern with attempts to artificially cool the barrel is that they may not cool the barrel evenly. This could lead to a temporary bending of the barrel and a POI shift. Just my opinion

• Like 1