Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Muzzleloader Help

My son from Phoenix has the Unit 27 muzzleloader bull hunt in September. His gun is a 54 caliper Knight. He cannot find any black powder "pellets" in Phoenix, just loose powder. Anyone have a recommendation where he should look for the 54 cal black powder "pellets" ???

I'm on my lunch break so I thought I would search for the 54 caliber pellets....I had no idea they were that hard to find. I know I am preaching to the choir, but I shoot a .50 caliber ML and with my preloaded little plastic tubes that have powder and bullet "ready to load" , in my humble opinion I don't think he would be losing more than a second or two at most if he had to resort to those little "speed loaders" with loose powder for a quick reload.

• Like 3

After 35 years of muzzle loader hunting and shooting I can assure you that using loose powder is to your advantage, pyrodex or triple 7 & the hottest caps you can find (rws or cci magnums) .

just my humble opinion . . . backed by years of fooling with smokepoles !

Mark

• Like 2

Loose is better by far.

• Like 2

Let me check around Albuquerque. If I can find some I am planning on coming down to Reserve in the next week. I will have my passport so can cross into AZ. and meet you in Alpine. Let me know the brand as I think most pellets are made of Pyrodex and not BP. Let me know if that works for you and how much you need if I can find it.

• Like 1

Will get back to you Red as soon as I can discuss with my son in Phoenix. Thanks for your kind and quick response.

I have not seen Pydrodex or Triple7 pellets in the .54 cal 60gr for quite a few years. I also have a .54 Knight that I used to shoot them out of but have switch back to loose powder. I am currently shooting the Blackhorn 209 powder in my .50 cal T/C and love it. It shoots much cleaner than the triple7 or pyrodex. It's a little more expensive but worth it IMO. As mentioned above with a good speed loader you're not saving that much time. I really like the Thomson Center loaders but I don't think they come in .54 cal.

CVA makes one that works well especially with sabots. You can get them for $5 at cabelas.

If I was you , I would be figuring it out Quick ....That's one heck of a tag you have there. I would Hate to hear the story of the dreaded miss fire.. Excellent Tag..I've Been wanting it since Birth..."GOOD LUCK"

Let me check around Albuquerque. If I can find some I am planning on coming down to Reserve in the next week. I will have my passport so can cross into AZ. and meet you in Alpine. Let me know the brand as I think most pellets are made of Pyrodex and not BP. Let me know if that works for you and how much you need if I can find it.

a passport