on an added note-- the ole patch & roundball was a VERY accurate load - especially in those ole long barrels with slow twist

and the have great ballistics

I shot my new CVA muzzleloader with 110 gr by volume of Blackhorn 209 powder this morning for the first time. Very impressed with how it shot. Love how you don't have clean after each shot. Pic is 5 shot 100 yard group.

Brian

post-102-0-46762600-1500746012_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I shoot muzzleloaders exclusively and highly recommend powder over primers for consistency. Everyone has a favorite. In my experience, for consistency, excellent velocity to weight ratio and simple clean-up, Triple 7 is good. FFFg burns a bit quicker than FFg but each rifle will have a spot where it works good with either. I use FFFg in my .54 cal because it groups better with my chosen bullet. Good luck to both of you!

Shoot Blackhorn 209 powder and pick up a bunch of charge tubes you can preload. It is almost as easy as pellets and shoots allot cleaner.

so Ive only shot pellets but this yr Im gonna try BH. So literally do u just fill the tubes up to the volume measure on the side that u r gonna shoot and your good? I keep reading the whole u gotta weigh your charge vs the volume method? But I dont know really? Im not shooting past 150 yds

Shoot Blackhorn 209 powder and pick up a bunch of charge tubes you can preload. It is almost as easy as pellets and shoots allot cleaner.

so Ive only shot pellets but this yr Im gonna try BH. So literally do u just fill the tubes up to the volume measure on the side that u r gonna shoot and your good? I keep reading the whole u gotta weigh your charge vs the volume method? But I dont know really? Im not shooting past 150 yds

Use your measure and then pour it in, I wouldnt go off the tube.

I have used it all over the years. First thing is availability. If you can't get enough of it, well you can use it. So see what is readily available. Other than that, I have been able to get acceptable accuracy with both powder and pellets with numerous projectiles. Powder isn't real hard to use. You can pre-measure and carry it in tubes or whatever. One thing is, if you drop it or the tube opens in your pack that charge is gone. You just can't pick up all the powder to get it back. If you load near the vehicle or camp you should only need that one shot! But, stuff happens and a reload can be carried. I like the aluminum cigar tubes with the end-cap that is threaded. I still put a piece of tape around it to make sure it stays put. Powder will ignite easily with percussion caps or primers. While I never had an issue with percussion caps and pellets, there are numerous reports of hard-to-ignite pellets using percussion caps, so you will have to see for yourself. Since you have a .54 all the pellets are going to be loose and they will stack a little different each time in the bore. If you are an accuracy fanatic this might give you a headache. Also, if the pellet is not centered real good it could contribute to poor ignition. I vote for powder in a .54 but it'll all work, just give it a try to see what's best.

• Like 1

I think the problem with caps and pellet ignition is the pellets are suppose to go in one way. One end is darker and is like using ffffg in the pan of a flint lock. Saw a guy one time at the range and his rifle would not go off with caps and pellets. Had the range officer call a cease fire so we could deal with it. We pulled the nipple and I put about 2 grains of Pyrex P in and put the nipple back on, this was a inline nipple system and not 209. Little bit of a hang fire but it did go off. After he started paying attention to the pellets he never had a fail to fire or hang fire the rest of the session.

For those of you using the BH209 powder, did you find that the volume charge, as in 100 grains of powde, will shoot with the same ballistics as the two 50 grain pellet or is there a significant difference in velocity?  I'm a little gun shy now on using pellets for my daughters upcoming bull hunt after  reading about the 777 being seriously affected by moisture.  I havent had any issues myself in the past with the pellets, but I also tape my barrel if theres any chance of precipitation 

There’s a big difference btw the two.   BH uses less grains for equivalent energy.  

It it will require resigning of the entire setup.  

I wiuldnt worry about moisture f you are all setup for 777.   The sabot won’t let water inthere unless you are really soaking the gun.  

With that said, BH is a cleaner and more consistent product and that’s what I use exclusively.