Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

.264/6.5mm 160gr Matrix Hunting Bullets

I am thinking about ordering some .264/6.5mm 160gr Matrix bullets to try out in my 6.5SS I am building. If I can push them to 3050, it retains 1000ft/lbs and 1675 fps @ 1400 yards in my preferred deer hunting conditions. 1500ft/lbs and 2056fps @ 960 yards. Beats the 140 HVLD by almost 270-300 yards to keep the same energy/retained velocity when starting with a 3200MV.

It is a $20 flat shipping rate, whether you order 100 or 500. Does anyone want to go in halves (250), or a couple guys go in 5ths (100) on a 500 count box? I just figured I would throw it out there before I drop the coin on a couple 100 count boxes. $51/100 plus shipping.

160 gr VLD design

.685 BC

.264"/6.5mm diameter

Recommended 1:8" twist rate

http://matrixballistics.com/.264-Caliber-hunting-bullets.html

• Like 1

I don't know if Brownells sells them but they have free shipping today with no minimum purchase

Those heavy bullets and the lower muzzle velocity = longer barrel life. I like heavy for caliber bullets , they hold together better and penetrate deeper in large game.

But heavy bullets means longer bearing surface, which means increased friction and barrel wear.....

• Like 1

But heavy bullets means longer bearing surface, which means increased friction and barrel wear.....

In the same chambering the lighter bullets typically have a higher velocity which would also increase friction generated heat. The lighter bullets are also propelled by more powder than the heavier ones and this would likely lead to more hot gas in the bore which would probably accelerate throat erosion. It would be interesting to see a controlled experiment to see which would produce longer barrel life, heavy or light bullets.

I plan on running these as hot as accuracy will allow out of my 6.5 SS that AxisWorks is reworking for me...

I will be ordering these in the near future. So I will post up when that time comes. I have a few takers on the offer, and space is very limited, but I might just have to order more. No sweat.

I don't think Matrix Bullets are in business any longer.  

I havevseen nothing about them in years, and a Google search yeilded nothing but old threads.