Sign in to follow this  
Edge

*Update*Cold Springs flood

Very sad story. Rivers and creeks during monsoon season are always a gamble, even if they are dry where you are.

Myself and bunch of 4 wheeing buddies spent 6 hours stranded on the wrong side of the Aqua Fria one night when we were out four wheeling during monsoon. We purposely only wheeled a couple trails that were very wide. Another group of people that night were in a much harder trail near the river bottom, and were not as lucky. Nobody died, but one person suffered a broken leg, and one guys Jeep was washed completely away down the canyon and destroyed. To see pictures of what at the time was a pretty built hardcore rockcrawling rig end up looking like a tin can under someone's boot it pretty amazing.

Water is terribly powerful, and not to be messed with or underestimated.

This is really sad. It was on AOL this morning. I cant imagine being a father in that situation.

One left to find. with as many people that come up here, I think its time for some kind of early warning system up stream, even if its residents monitoring and reporting. they had a flood warning for Ellison creek and Bonita creek an hour before. just me thinking out loud. very sad day up here. we want people to come up here and have fun not get hurt..

We need more common sense

The only way people learn is having things like this happen. I was one of them. I wasn't caught in a flood, but I was surrounded by lightning one time. I really thought I was going to get hit. There were about 6 of us on a trail working for the Forest Service. It would rain on us every day. One day the lightning came and didn't leave for 30 minutes. I know it hit several places about 100 feet away from us. One of the scariest situations in my life. Since then, I watch storm clouds developing wherever I go and make a mental plan to leave if they grow too big.

• Like 1

I really don't think this is a common sense issue, the storm was 8 miles away, and down in that canyon they probably couldn't even see the clouds.

Early warning may have prevented this.

Very sad for those who lost their lives.

I really don't think this is a common sense issue, the storm was 8 miles away, and down in that canyon they probably couldn't even see the clouds.

ive been hearing about flash flooding the entire time ive lived in az and its always stressed that is doesnt need to be raining where youre at. maybe they werent from AZ. early warning how, all theyre gonna do is close it and say we cant go there anymore.

A family 2 streets over from us in Tempe when we were growing up got washed away in Tonto Creek north of Kohl's Ranch back in Sept. of 1970. They were evacuating and a wall of water hit the bridge they were driving across. Only 2 girls survived. 7 lives were lost. My 81 year old Mom told me this story. I found a news article from the newspaper about this incident.

That entire region had been under a flash flood watch for quite some time. Even without a cursory understanding of weather, it's difficult in this day and age to be disconnected with, TV, radio or smart phone apps belching out warnings.

Early warnings- they do warn people - been on then news for days monsoon season here be prepared for floods - people getting sand bags etc.

problem is--not everyone is paying attention

very tragic - heart felt sorrow for all families involved or affected by this

there are no real warnings from mother nature -

yes signs can be put up to bring situations like this to peoples attention

even if signs were up stating this area is prone to flash floods during the monsoon season please check local weather before daily use.

I doubt it would make a big difference- people walk by and pay little if no attention to signs anymore.

we see this happen time and agin from floods due to rains - loss of lives and property - all over the news every yr

they set up barricades to keep people from flooding streets/ washes -- they just drive around them

its not the first time and sad to say it probably will not be the last time

no one can predict these things to give people protection-

• Like 1

ive been hearing about flash flooding the entire time ive lived in az and its always stressed that is doesnt need to be raining where youre at. maybe they werent from AZ. early warning how, all theyre gonna do is close it and say we cant go there anymore.
Well here ya go. If people can't have common sense the forest service will step in and shut it down.

http://www.12news.com/mobile/article/news/local/valley/tonto-national-forest-closes-east-verde-river-to-the-public/458686319