Outdoorlife602

13B Questions

I am still in shock but I managed to pull a 13B rifle tag this year in the random draw. Prior to the hunt, I've read countless articles and forum posts about the unit. I know it's a huge unit with low densities of deer. All the country looks like great mule dear areas but they just aren't there. I've read all the info on the game and fish website as well as every other hunting site that has published info. I've called several guides already to get some prices but unfortunately, I'm a younger guy and cannot afford to pay $4 or $5k dollars for one. I am looking to connect with some other hunters who have been lucky enough to draw this tag. It looks like I'll be doing this hunt myself and want to make sure I am focusing on the right areas. I plan on spending several days scouting beforehand but the unit is so large and all looks so good, it's hard to pick out areas. Anyone willing to share info please PM me. I would be more than willing to share info about some other units such as 30A, 20C, 17B or 3AC in return. Thanks in advance!

dont know anything about the deer up there but I was up there for a turkey hunt. All I can say about travel in the unit is make sure your tires are in top notch shape, make sure you take a few extra meals in your vehicle if it rains you may be stuck where you are for a while. I did see a few deer in the southern end of the unit near mount trumble but not huge. Maybe you should be looking for a job with these guides--camp cook or go for and work your way into some information.

• Like 1

I'd consider getting a scouting package from an outfitter if you can't afford a fully guided hunt. That place is like a whole different planet, even being in the right places you can go a day or 2 without seeing a deer.

Good luck on your hunt, heck of a year to have that tag.

And killing from the road does happen more often than you'd imagine. Friend of mine killed a cactus buck in 13b that went in the 220's off the side of the road when they were moving to take a better look at a different deer. Just stood there and looked at him.

Contact Larry Bundy of At First Light Guide Service.....he has a ranch on 13A and knows the Strip very well. Tell him your dilemma and see if he can work out a plan where you provide your own meals, lodging, transportations, etc........might be more in your price range.

• Like 1

i heard theres pretty good road hunting there

Me too.

That movie is painful to watch. Anyone else rooting for that deer more then the hunter and his mouthbreathing flatty wearing buddy?

OP- atleast talk to some of the guides about a scouting package. You have the best deer tag in the world, beg steal or borrow some money and get some help on that hunt! Just to put it into perspective if that tag was sold at an auction like Utah does (I'm not saying that's a good idea just using it as an example) the tag would bring $30,000+. You won the lotto by drawing it, make the most of it.

i heard theres pretty good road hunting there

Me too.

That movie is painful to watch. Anyone else rooting for that deer more then the hunter and his mouthbreathing flatty wearing buddy?

OP- atleast talk to some of the guides about a scouting package. You have the best deer tag in the world, beg steal or borrow some money and get some help on that hunt! Just to put it into perspective if that tag was sold at an auction like Utah does (I'm not saying that's a good idea just using it as an example) the tag would bring $30,000+. You won the lotto by drawing it, make the most of it.

seemed alright to me.

+1 on Bundy and A3 for scouting packages. That's where I would start. But HURRY, I guarantee those guys have already gotten flooded with calls.

Yotebuster gives some great advice. Do whatever it takes to hire a guide. The Strip is huge and these guides know where the big deer are. You will not get that tag again for years. The auction tag sold for like $250k. We hunted in last year with MDA and had a great hunt and killed a big deer. Borrow the $ if you have to it will be worth it.

• Like 1