Outdoorlife602

13B Questions

Contact Larry Bundy of At First Light Guide Service.....he has a ranch on 13A and knows the Strip very well. Tell him your dilemma and see if he can work out a plan where you provide your own meals, lodging, transportations, etc........might be more in your price range.

Another vote for Larry.

i heard theres pretty good road hunting there

Me too.

That movie is painful to watch. Anyone else rooting for that deer more then the hunter and his mouthbreathing flatty wearing buddy?

OP- atleast talk to some of the guides about a scouting package. You have the best deer tag in the world, beg steal or borrow some money and get some help on that hunt! Just to put it into perspective if that tag was sold at an auction like Utah does (I'm not saying that's a good idea just using it as an example) the tag would bring $30,000+. You won the lotto by drawing it, make the most of it.

seemed alright to me.

Is that Chad Rhoton?

I don't see Chad. Ronnie and Derek and someone I don't know,and the hunter

try to find a way to go guided but without food and other stuff, if you go up a few times to scout you end up spending lots of money, a guide saves you all that work, that is a great tag and probably the only tag i spend money on a outfitter.

Everyone always says to go guided on this hunt. Honestly I probably would, but I also have to believe that it's doable DIY. I am sure you could find plenty of information. And if you aren't holding out for a 230" buck, you probably have a decent chance of having the hunt of a lifetime.

I think coach did this hunt DIY a few years ago. Maybe it was someone else.

Thanks guys. I put a call into Larry and waiting for him to call me back. Flatlander - I'm not holding out for a 230 and enjoy the hunt as much or more than the kill. I know I hit the lotto and am incredibly excited for the hunt even if I can't hire a guide.

Just be realistic about your chances. I do not have a ton of experience up there but I believe that if you hunt hard and don't give in to the depression that low deer densities can give you, I think you should be able to harvest a 180-200" deer with a chance of getting lucky and killing a giant on your own. If you want to be chasing bigger a guide is probably your best bet.

If I flat out couldn't afford a guide I would go up scouting before the hunt and find the tanks with 50 billion cameras on them. You will know you are in the right area.

I might have to go against the popular trend here. I did it in what many consider the worst year in recent memory. Did it solo, spot and stalk and I know the deer I ended up with would have scored a lot better in any other year. It was still the most challenging and rewarding hunt of my life.

I opted not to take up some really great outfitters' offers, no scouting packages (these are generally bs in my humble opinion). If you can, go up a weekend or two before the hunt, drive all the main roads and get a feel for the unit. It's HUGE and impossible to cover in one hunt. You'll have to figure out what area you feel the best in, that matches your style of hunting and just decide to focus on that area. If you try to cover too much ground you'll just be road hunting, which in the late part of the hunt sometimes proves to be more productive than hiking/glassing.

Shoot me a PM.

• Like 3

Yep, pretty good hunting up there!

One of my guides took this 4 X 4 in velvet during the archery hunt.

post-11017-0-80313200-1500540666_thumb.jpg

I signed over my Strip rifle tag to my 14 year-old grandson and he got this buck.

post-11017-0-81315900-1500540731.jpg

Why spend more than $3500 for this hunt?

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 1

If I flat out couldn't afford a guide I would go up scouting before the hunt and find the tanks with 50 billion cameras on them. You will know you are in the right area.

That would be any tank he finds...