IIRC if you use bullets with lead you can't leave the gut pile in the field. G&F used to sen successful tag holders a flyer which also had a vouc

her for a box of non copper bullets.

They still send the vouchers. My nephew had a Kiabab tag last year and used the copper bullets from the voucher. Bullet performed well on his buck.

Brian

• Like 1

I don't here much good about solids for game?

Then ya ain't talking to the right people. I've killed or seen killed several dozen animals with the TTSX and all have been wonderful, most have been dead RIGHT THERE shots. Great close/moderate style bullets. They like being driven fast and hitting bone.

I've kill fox/bobcat/javelina up to elk/kudu/hartebeast with TTSX.

IIRC if you use bullets with lead you can't leave the gut pile in the field. G&F used to sen successful tag holders a flyer which also had a vouc

her for a box of non copper bullets.

There is no law saying that if you use lead bullets you have to take gut pile out of the field. Not sure if they're still doing it or not but they use to have some of the condor crew running all over the BAB handing out garbage bags to those that said they weren't using lead free ammo. You could load the gut pile in bag and take it to the check station and they would put your name in for a drawing, I believe it was for a gift card or such.

I just heard a few podcast with very experienced hunters not liking them. I believe they called it the pencil effect, bullet never expanded.

Are the gmx from horny solids??? Was thinking of going to those when I'm out of Sierra game kings.

Love Barnes copper bullets, all I shoot out of my guns, if you hit anything in the right spot it will go down, and about there not being a law for using copper bullets or taking the gut pile, I call it the law of common sence, get some you might like it.

Mulepackhunter, the Barnes TSX and TTSX are solid copper. Hornady GMX and Nosler e-tips are copper gilding metal. They do not create as wide a wound channel, but do penetrate deeper and have close to 100% weight retention.

My theory regarding solids, is think lighter and faster. With Nearly 100% weight retention, the resulting slug's weight will be the equal of a conventional bullet that weighs 30% more. Not saying all is equal but the solids also require, in general, higher impact velocities to achieve optimal terminal performance. In 30 caliber bullets, a solid bullet's length is equal to a conventional bullet about 30 grains heavier. If you typically use 180gr bullets for elk, you may consider 150 or 165 grain bullets if going to a solid. 125 grain and 130 grain solids should be ideal for deer sized game in 30 caliber. I'd even drop to 110 gr solids for coues deer using a 30 caliber bullet.