creed_az_88

Dog fence alternatives

Looking to keep my dog within about a 6 acre boundary without having to build a fence. I'm interested in trying the invisible electric fence thing. Are any of you guys using something like this for such a big area? What are my options?

I've used it on a much smaller lot. Worked great. The dog learns the boundary REAL quick.

I've used it on a much smaller lot. Worked great. The dog learns the boundary REAL quick.

Some also get shocked while exiting the boundaries and learn they'll get shocked again if they return.

6 acres will require a booster because of the length of the wire (underground electric fence) the newer ones are circular in that of the animal gets a certain distance from the center point, he gets a warning beep then a jolt. I had on on my property - worked great, dog learned to stay put, wire got cut and repaired and cut and repaired and burned, finally I said the heck with it!! Dog knows to stay on property.

Absolutely NO IDEA why the font changed???

Also, had a lab, beautiful dog - but the collar had ZERO effect on her - she didn't ground so no charge. Shock the HECK out of me when I touched her, but she'd lay on the trench where I'd just buried the wire and look at me and say "Thanks Dad...."

Absolutely NO IDEA why the font changed???

You likely hit Ctrl+I while typing.

Good luck, OP.

My lab learned that if he ran fast and jumped the "invisible" fence, that the escape was worth the slight pain. Then he would just sit on the other side and wait.

• Like 1

Train it so it doesn't run away

I live on a couple acres and have 3 too many dogs. I don't have a fence. They're there from when I wake up til when I go to bed......what they do at night time is any body's guess.
  • Like 1

Same for me. My dog doesn't run away she is pretty much a dream dog but she recently ended up at the neighbors house with his dogs. His dogs have been at my house everyday for the last three weeks which isn't a problem but my dog apparently followed them home yesterday. He is a drunken idiot and he claimed she bit him which is a lie unless he cornered her and tried something crazy and even then I can't see her doing anymore than nipping at him, but none the less I can't risk her ending up over there anymore because she will be shot. There is alot more to the story but it's not as simple as training my dog to stay home, which is something she has been trained to do for 5 years, or so I thought.

• Like 1

I was in a similar situation. Neighbor accused my dog of eating her chickens at night. Keep in mind we have coyotes, owl and Tom cats all around. And we have dozens of free range chickens and turkeys on our own property. She turned me in to the county and that was the end. Not as simple as "train them to stay home". Sucks you have to deal with that.

The dog fence with the wire works great. You could always Bury some wire around a smaller part of your yard. That might be easier than trying to run wire around 6 acres.

The invisible fences work great. Than being said, I had one dog who decided that freedom was worth the shock. He would just let out a YIPE as he passed thru the boundary both ways. Also, make sure the shockers have enough deterent for the size/toughness of the dog you trying to keep in.