AZHUNTER05

Long range scopes

I'm fairly new to shooting long range and I was hoping to get some advice from some experienced shooters. I recently picked up a tikka ctr in a 6.5 creedmore. I'm still trying to decide what kind of glass to put on it. I'm wanting to shoot out to 1000 yards for fun, and 500 yards for hunting purposes. I plan on this being my primary hunting rifle. I'm mainly looking at vortex optics and my max price range is $1000.

I'm currently looking at viper pst gen II 5-25x50mm ffp along with the viper HS LR and viper HST. I know the PST is really popular, but is it any better then the other two that are a tad cheaper? Normally with glass you get what you pay for, but I'm just curious to see what you guys think. Also, if I'm going to shoot out to a 1000 yards should I get a 20 MOA rail or is my stock rail sufficient? Also what magnification would you go with? Thanks in advance!

20 moa rail for sure. I made that mistake on my long range rig. I only have enough MOA adjustment to get out to about 950 yards.

I don't have a ton of experience, but I chose the Vortex Viper HSLR 6x24x50 FFP.

IMO please stay away from Vortex. I hate to be debbie downer all the time but for under 1k you will not get a good vortex. You can find better in that price range.

I don't have any experience in the 1k+ Vortex scopes.

• Like 5

I tried the PST last year and had some trouble with it. Compared to my Vipers it didn't keep a zero. Went back to Leopold for my 7mm-08. The VX-6 is awesome but kinda expensive. Just bought a VX-3i for my next rifle. I don't like their target knobs but I didn't want to pay anymore for a scope either.

Burris XTR II 3-15×50, 4-20×50 or 5-25×50

SWFA SS 5-20×50 or 3-15x42

Sightron SIII 6-24×50

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27×50 or 2.5-15×50

Bushnell LRS 6-24x50, 4.5-30x50

Leupold 3-15x44 VX-5HD

Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-3i

You do not NEED 25x to shoot to 1000 yards, 15x is plenty. But it is nice to have. But your low end FOV suffers at 5x-6x.

• Like 4

I have the same gun and needed a 20 Moa rail on it and I had a pst 6-24 and just put a Burris 5-25 the 34mm tube on the Burris seems to have better view than pst. My tikka ctr is the most accurate out of the box with all ammo I have tried, I love it.

sightron 8-32 and dont look back

johnny

How do you feel about an 8x minimum magnification for hunting purposes?
  • Like 1

I looked through the Leupold VX5 HD with fire dot reticle on Saturday. The elevation turret was solid and did 2 full rotations with a very nice zero stop. Scope was $999, so it is right in your price range. That, and I think it weighs in right at 20oz. I think it would be hard to beat that for the money.

If you like dealing with the best customer service folks in the industry buy a Vortex. If not then get something else. My vote is for the Leupold Vx3i in 6.5-20x50. It's light weight, simple, has great glass and well under your budget.

• Like 2

Plenty of much better options in the $1000 range than vortex like others are saying. I have a burris veracity 5-25 and really like it for under $1000. Also put a vx3i 4-14 cds on my lightweight rifle that i am really liking

• Like 1