Long range scopes

Burris XTR II 3-15×50, 4-20×50 or 5-25×50

SWFA SS 5-20×50 or 3-15x42

Sightron SIII 6-24×50

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27×50 or 2.5-15×50

Bushnell LRS 6-24x50, 4.5-30x50

Leupold 3-15x44 VX-5HD

Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-3i

You do not NEED 25x to shoot to 1000 yards, 15x is plenty. But it is nice to have. But your low end FOV suffers at 5x-6x.

How does that SWFA glass compare to the others listed? I've never looked through one but they always seem to come up in the best scope under $1000 category and haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Were going to be putting the Athlon Argo Btr 6X24X50 On the wife's 6.5

I appreciate all the help guys. I currently have a leupold VX3 LR 6.5x20x50mm with the varmint reticle. It's about 7 years old, so I was thinking about upgrading it. Do you guys think it's comparable to the ones mentioned, or would you upgrade it?

I just picked up a leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 with the new cds zl2 turret. I haven't shot with it yet but the glass is great and the turret is really nice.

• Like 1

The SWFA SS 5-20×50HD is surprisingly good glass. It was actually my first higher end FFP tactical type scope. And led me to my addiction. So it is a great "gateway scope", so beware.

Features are not the absolute best, no zero stop, 2nd revolution indicator, no locking turrets. But glass is great, turrets track and are repeatable, scope is bulletproof. Find a good used one, and you can get the illuminated version in your price range

I've seen the old vx-6 3-18x50 non hds for under 1000 in a couple places. Decent glass for the price. I also had the vx-3i 6.5-20x50 the parallax adjustment wasn't all it could be. If it were my choice I would save a couple hundred more $ and go with a Swaro Z5 5-25, Ziess conquest Hd 5 5-25, or a Leica Er5 4-20.

Im working on a new setup. I have a Simmons 3-9 with my Jim White Tripler attached. It gives me quite an advantage, 3-27 power. It is quite a setup. ;)

sightron 8-32 and dont look back

johnny

How do you feel about an 8x minimum magnification for hunting purposes?
I do use an 8x32 and it is a compromise I feel eliminates the ability to make a quick close shot. With that rifle I usually go to advantage point that I spend the day at, moving in and out in the dark. I glass with binoculars and use a spotting scope to get a closer look at animals I find. Ounces= pounds= pain, with the injured ankle I leave the tripod and spotting scope behind and the powerful rifle scope lets me take a good look at the animal I found. It's a compromise that keeps my ankle happy. If I were to hunt more on the move with that rifle I would swap on a 5.5x22. If I plan on moving a lot I carry a light rifle with a 3.5x12. I would not recommend an 8 x minimum if you move a lot with the rifle during hunting hours.
  • Like 5

Im working on a new setup. I have a Simmons 3-9 with my Jim White Tripler attached. It gives me quite an advantage, 3-27 power. It is quite a setup. ;)

Amateur. I use my 3x Zoomies behind my 6-24×56 Kahles and get an 6-72×56 range available to me.

20150410_134848_zpspvtokhqx.jpg

• Like 4

So what you are saying is i can go to walmart and pick up a 3 power pair of cheaters from the checkout isle and increase my scope power from 5-25 to 5-75. :blink: :D

• Like 2

The only downside to my setup, is the lack of clarity, the intense headaches and lack of eye relief, but other then that, its awesome. I can shoot out to 2000 yards with it. I call it my first focal+second focal special

• Like 1