AZHUNTER05

Long range scopes

Good lord none of yall can do math.

It would be 15-75x with 3x cheaters.. duhhhh.

6-24 without 3x Zoomies (or 5-25)

18-72 with 3x Zoomies (or 15-75)

So 6-72x (or 5-75) available zoom range.

• Like 1

I've seen the old vx-6 3-18x50 non hds for under 1000 in a couple places. Decent glass for the price. I also had the vx-3i 6.5-20x50 the parallax adjustment wasn't all it could be. If it were my choice I would save a couple hundred more $ and go with a Swaro Z5 5-25, Ziess conquest Hd 5 5-25, or a Leica Er5 4-20.

Midway has these on sale brand new for as low as $899 without the fire dot reticle: https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promotionid=1115472&cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-hotbuy-_-leupold_vx6-_-20170725

My vote is for the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x 50 you can get on line or from Douglas gun guy on the site. On line price is 850 dollars and has better glass then PST. My brother has the lower end Athlon and the glass almost matches the PST

It BTR also has zero stop. Sightron III is also a great scope. Really great glass but no zero scope and doesn't have the broad xpower range like the Athlon Ares BTR does

• Like 1

sightron 8-32 and dont look back

johnny

How do you feel about an 8x minimum magnification for hunting purposes?

All depends, when i am glassing for whitetail on the side of a mountain. i want all the glass i can get

john hiller

sightron 8-32 and dont look back

johnny

How do you feel about an 8x minimum magnification for hunting purposes?

All depends, when i am glassing for whitetail on the side of a mountain. i want all the glass i can get

john hiller

He was asking 8x for the scope, not binos.

I have a Sightron SIII 5-25X that sits on top of my 6.5-06 AI. Glass is fantastic and clear and the turret dialing is repeatable. Prior to that, I had tried both Vortex and Leupold VX3. Nightforce is my go-to scope on my larger rigs, but they just seem to make the rifle too top heavy on a lighter sport rifle.

• Like 1

Az sugar bear, have you had an opportunity to get behind a nightforce 2.5-10x42? Ive been researching them and they seem like a great option for a lighter weight rifle with reliable and repeatable turrets.

The NF 2.5-10×42 is a pretty good scope for a lighter weight big game hunting rig out to 800ish. Clarity is good. At under 21oz, nice light SFP Scope.

There are some other SFP lighter weight scopes I would consider too. But I am a FFP guy, so that leaves me out.

• Like 1

I have a Sightron SIII 5-25X that sits on top of my 6.5-06 AI. Glass is fantastic and clear and the turret dialing is repeatable. Prior to that, I had tried both Vortex and Leupold VX3. Nightforce is my go-to scope on my larger rigs, but they just seem to make the rifle too top heavy on a lighter sport rifle.

The NSX compact scopes are quite a bit lighter. I run a NSX 3.5 -12 on a 700 7mm-08 AI. The gun weighs 7.5 pounds loaded and ready to go. In my opinion the gun is very well balanced.

• Like 1

A scope over looked that would be great for hunting is the Athlon Helos 6-24x50. The reason I say so is it has locking turrets and they did a excellent job with the click feel, the tension and spacing, and the turret doesn't get hung up when pushing down to lock. Sucks when a guy is walking around and the turret gets turned - especially the windage! it's only $570 MAP. I like it better than the PST.

Spend the extra money saved to practice with which far exceeds buying expensive scopes hoping that'll make up for inexperience.