Curtis Reed

Any backpackers on CWT hike the AZT?

I would like to thru hike the AZT from Mexico to Utah in the next few years. I'm shooting for 2020. Just curious if there are any CWT members have conquered the trail or know someone who has?

When my father retired 17 years ago that was one of his goals. Over a 12-13 year period he completed it on horseback 4 or 5 times and was even a trail steward. He helped many people along the way. My father passed away 2 years ago.

Maybe these people can help you? https://arizonatrail.wordpress.com/

Good Luck

• Like 4

It doesn't answer your question exactly...I have not conquered it. I've done some segments and one of the longest segments of it (~35 miles due to a couple of wrong turns near the end when I got tired:-) ). PM if any particular info you might be looking for; a friend of mine has near conquered it and I could pass along the question to him.

I've done about a 1/4 of the AZ Trail and a portion of the adjoining Escalante on horseback, planning on doing it all.

About 8 years ago while on the trail, camped with a hiker doing the entire AZ-Escalante-Continental Divide Trail well into Canada and documenting the trip daily via satellite to his website. Thought it was clever how he had mailed all his provisions to post offices along the route in advance.

Me and some friends organized a search party for him when he went missing for several days in a late spring blizzard north of Happy Jack. Turns out he had hitchhiked into Flag and waited out the storm with help from some microbrews at the Beaver St. Brewery.

• Like 1

Get on the azta website they have done a great job and you can talk to stewards of each section personally and find out what your dealing with.

I have done pretty much all of the trail from picket post to flagstaff on foot and on horseback. The one section that will be the most demanding will be fro mt orde area to pine. The mazatzal range is long rough and little water opportunities.

• Like 1

Keep us posted, if it works out I'm sure we could get a few guys to come up and do support runs. I.e. Drop water or food or set up camp along the way so you can shower and eat.

Guest akaspecials

I'm currently section hiking it whenever I can pull off for a weekend. I've started running high mileage the last few months so I can tick off longer sections when I can get out there. It's an awesome trail!

For my eagle project we worked on section 21. Been fascinated by the AZT and PCT ever since. Good luck on the thru hike. PM me if you are looking for someone to tick off sections with.

I also suggest going on YouTube and searching Joe Brewer, I watched his gear list videos for the pct and apt and he had the gear down to a science. Helped me a lot with backpacking

I've packed out a deer on one section of it and also used it hiking out in the dark...has always intrigued me since I grew up backpacking sections of the Appalachian Trail and still dream of thru-hiking it. Friend of mine mountain biked the whole thing last year. Very cool idea to have a CWT network of support along the way. I'd be happy to help out or join you for a section on the southern end...

There are several sections where it goes thru wilderness areas...no bikes allowed.

There are several sections where it goes thru wilderness areas...no bikes allowed.

I thought mountain bikes are allowed but no motorized bikes but I could be wrong.