Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Air Compressor Piping a New Garage

Hi Guys,

I figured I might drop this here to see if anyone has done this and had recommendations.

I am about to move into a new house, and I want to outfit the garage with compressor air lines to various locations to have air ports available all over instead of dragging hoses all over the garage. It will be just a standard 2 car garage, so not a ton of sqft, but I want to get this installed before I move into the garage. Has anyone done this, does anyone have any good recommendations for kits or ideas on what a good product would be?

I don't want to use PVC, and I don't really want to use copper unless I can't find something more user friendly and easier to install. I don't want to have to sweat all those dang fittings.

Thanks

Harley

I piped my friends with schedule 80 pvc and it has been hooked up to a commercial 5 hp dayton air compressor for 10 years and holding 130 psi. No leaks. We have copper piped at work for 16 years and no leaks. Either or is a winner.

• Like 2

I used a couple hundred feet of PVC in

My cabinet shop, with a dozen T-fittings for the air couplers. If you use your air system alot, install a condensation filter with a petcock drain on the bottom. It really helps removing the moisture. Especially this time of year.

• Like 1

I've done it in the last two homes I owned using pvc. My systems get heavy daily use and I've never had a pipe burst or even leak. My current system has been going for 3 years already. I do have a shutoff valve between the compressor and the air system and make it a point to close it off and bleed the air out whenever I'm done with it.

Do not use pvc!!! It is dangerous. Every pvc manufacturer's literature says NOT To BE USED With COMPRESSED AIR. When pvc pipe is used with compressed air it is a bomb waiting to go off. There is a product line made by Ipex that is made of ABS that is safe for compressed air up to 185 psi. Copper is also a good choice.

• Like 1

When I built my workshop about 25 years ago, I put the compressor in a small room attached to the back of it so I didn't have to listen to it all the time. I used 1/2" galvanized pipe to bring it into the workshop. It's lasted through three compressors now.

Edit: Hit the wrong key; It was actually 35 years ago!

• Like 1

When I built my workshop about 25 years ago, I put the compressor in a small room attached to the back of it so I didn't have to listen to it all the time. I used 1/2" galvanized pipe to bring it into the workshop. It's lasted through three compressors now.

Thats the only reason i see to pipe one. When its outside and you dont have to hear it.

I thought about doing this when I got my pad but I failed to do it right away and all of a sudden the garage is about full of "stuff". I still have a chance to move the compressor outside and maybe run a quick line through a vent along the bottom and just put one of them retractable wheels with the air hose. Good luck on your project and get it done fast before it fills up ;-).