Sign in to follow this  
Rock30golf

Hunting with a 9mm carbine?

I am sure this will get a little bit of mixed reviews.

Can a 9mm carbine kill a mule deer with no problem under 100 yards? I think anything over 100 yards is just asking for trouble.

What was said above. It wouldn't be my first choice either, but if I didn't have a better options I would do it. Try and use a good round, and good shot placement.

With a round that size you are just making your margin for error minimal.

Consider that the FBI and numerous other LE agency's have abandoned the 9mm due to poor terminal performance. Yes it could work and the longer barrel will help but I would argue that the changes of a miserable failure are somewhat high.

It's the no problem part that is debateable and than how far under. I know there was a Big Horn killed with a 357 in the late 80's but I don't recall the range.

I wouldn't want to place any bets on it.

Interesting article. I noticed it is dated Oct. 2015. I guess I should crawl out from under my rock and read the news more often. :D

With the following expectation "kill a mule deer with no problem under 100 yards" I would still argue against the 9mm.

If you shot it in the head, no problem.

Unless it's wearing a Kevlar helmet and riot gear
Then I would finally have a reason to buy some ss190 for my fiveseven.
  • Like 1

My arrow is released at 300 fps and can easily kill an elk. I believe the 9mm velocity is way above 300 fps at 1,200 fps and higher. Yes, dead deer.

Arrows and bullets work in completely different ways. Not a good comparison. A 357mag pistol is used for deer, the energy from a 9mm carbine should be similar