Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhcp

Leftover poll

Got my last choice (and I put all 5) I put in for all less desirable high tag number hunts, mailed it Friday. Results showed up this morning. Years ago I would always get my first choice left over or maybe second, three years ago I didn't draw a leftover because I only put in for a couple hunts, last year I drew my fourth choice and with the fifth choice this year I'm confident leftovers will soon be a thing of the past.

I'm stoked to be going hunting, but I can't wait to burn my 10 deer points so I can get back into hunting some of the hunts that no longer are a nearly guaranteed thing on the leftover.

My older daughter picked up a 36A leftover. I'll be investing in a muzzleloader in the offseason. Looks like those may be the only ones left next year, if the trend continues.

Will it actually say "drawn" or just show a hunt number? My daghters shows a Tag number but is blank under the results spot.

Well I'm still waiting. The hunt I put in for according to the updated list this afternoon still has tags available???? Mailed in Friday. Oh well 😓 Only one left so no secret what I applied for. Hahahaha

Aren't you to old for youth javelina?

Dad and brother got a couple a 32 leftovers.

Let them know that I hate them please

So do I because had he not forgotten to put in they would be with us on the correct hunt!

Portal says I slid in there with tag number 372 of 375. Hoping for an age class buck. If not, I think I'll just buy a nice frame for my tag to hang on the wall as a happy hour conversation piece for future generations. When asked about it, my response might be something like this:

Me:Well son, that there is what used to be referred to as a leftover tag.

Son:A leftover tag, what is that?

Me:Well son, back in the day, the department used to always have a plethora of deer tags that you could apply for if you didn't get drawn during the first go round.

Son:Really? So is that the reason why we have to fill out our top 7 hunt choices during the first draw?

Me:You know, it used to only be 5 hunt choices, but the department had to expand it to 7 to give us a feeling of more opportunity. Boy did those guys with max points really hate it.

Son:is that what you refer to as the good ole days?

Me:Sure do. But the leftover tags are not entirely extinct, although they stopped posting them online, they still have around 900 turkey tags every year up near Utah.

Son:Wow Dad that sure is a great story and a really cool looking frame. Can I get you another cold one?

Me:you bet...................

2 years in a row no leftover for me

Man. 2 years in a row. They are getting harder and harder to get every year. I remember when I was a kid. And drawing a late December coues tag was a guarantee cause nobody hunted them..