Sign in to follow this  
AZ420

Elk Antler Growth 2017.....

Iv'e allways heard on a bad year Growth can be down 10 to 20%.I think that is on real bad drought year.....BOB!

This guy seems to be a poster child for good fronts and weak backends. Hope he sticks around long enough for me to catch up with him in person. Don't know for sure if it's genetic or weather conditions.

.post-4328-0-18497700-1501614822_thumb.jpg

post-4328-0-90628200-1501614898_thumb.jpg

Every year is a banner year if you leave the tape measure in the tool box where it belongs.

• Like 14

Tough to tell if that's the same bull but if so I wouldn't say he "blew up". Elk still grow antlers from the second week of June to third week of July even on bad years. I'd say he just "grew" like all elk do.

Can you give me an example of what that would mean compared to an average growth year? Say a bull on an average year grosses at 350". Does that mean, based on the low rainfall, he would gross maybe 20" less?

I killed my bull that I taped, following the p&y guidelines at 347 gross. The guide I used said "that's a 370-380" bull any other year" (dry in 2014). Where he came up with that I don't know but thats what he said.

Can you give me an example of what that would mean compared to an average growth year? Say a bull on an average year grosses at 350". Does that mean, based on the low rainfall, he would gross maybe 20" less?

I killed my bull that I taped, following the p&y guidelines at 347 gross. The guide I used said "that's a 370-380" bull any other year" (dry in 2014). Where he came up with that I don't know but thats what he said.
Think he's exaggerating a bit. That means 400 bulls on dry years should be 450 bulls on good years. I don't think there's an exact answer but I'd say 25-30 inches difference is a bit excessive.

It seems like they've stopped growing, but I'm seeing some pretty good ones so far. I'm getting excited for Sept.

There will always be bulls with good/bad fronts, tops, etc... but I must say that I've seen some big bulls this year... each of my spots seems to have a bull that is bigger then I usually see. Wish I had a tag!

• Like 1

It's the same bull I have a couple hundred photos of him. Compared to the way the other bulls grew that he is hanging with he "grew"(excuse my verb choice;) at a ridiculous rate. He was way behind. Especially the big 5 point he's running with

Keep the pictures coming I got a few months before my Hunt but I got the itch cant wait to start doing some scouting in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing.