Sign in to follow this  
AZ420

Elk Antler Growth 2017.....

Guys with no tag: average growth.

Guys with tag: impressive growth.

I'm glad I have a tag! :) :)

• Like 3

I would say the bulls are well above average this year and we will see some big bulls hit the dirt.

According to who? Rains have been below average this year so unless they just had a magical season nothing should be above average. Problem is who decides what average is? Every year no matter what there's monsters that get killed.

Where I'm planning on hunting early archery bull they are about 150% above average for rainfall year to date. I would definitely have to disagree with your statement of below average rains.

They may be 150% above average at the moment but there wasn't a place in the state that was above average from march-june. Aka when the elk need the feed to grow bigger antlers. The good rains now will definitely help the rut though.

I would say the bulls are well above average this year and we will see some big bulls hit the dirt.

According to who? Rains have been below average this year so unless they just had a magical season nothing should be above average. Problem is who decides what average is? Every year no matter what there's monsters that get killed.

Well according to me and the pictures I've seen on trial cams this year I think antler growth is good to great this year. Wish I could put pictures of them up but not before the season.

I've been up in my unit the better part of 30 days already this year looking around and doing the scouting thing. Obviously the elk are just starting to finish out so you couldn't really tell how big all of the elk were going to be. Though some haven't grown much in the last 4 weeks. But........some are still piling on inches!!!!! The moisture was crazy up in the north country during the spring. Turkey season was so wet that it was a struggle to even get a trailer into camp. Absolutely crazy. The grass was as green as I've seen up there in years and years. Actually the grass was tall and green all summer and now with the rain it will get even better. The winter wasn't brutal and they went into the spring happy and healthy. Pretty sure that will make for above average antler growth. The pics I've got back up what I think should happen.

I've got about a couple more trips up there before labor day and plan on spending the two weeks prior to the seaon and the entire season (if needed) finding a good bull. Time will tell but I think guys will be happy with the growth this year.

I have to agree with Bonecollector777, I'm not seeing much more in growth over last years. I am a believer that April thru early July rain is critical for big growth over the "snow pack" argument.

I have to agree with Bonecollector777, I'm not seeing much more in growth over last years. I am a believer that April thru early July rain is critical for big growth over the "snow pack" argument.

Shh.. don't say that too loud. People don't take kindly to that.
  • Like 1

Like I said , Watch how many big ones come out this year............BOB!

Antler growth/quality is a topic I have monitored for many years. Seems that the final outcome after the hunts always surprise and often do not align with my own prediction. All these previous comments are very interesting to read and I must say that I am most aligned with the comments that idgaf made in his post. Intermittent (timely) spring rains might have the greatest impact on horn variability IMHO.

Last year we had a seven week dry period with no precipitation in the spring but as I recall the horn quality turned out to be at least average or slightly above. This year we had one of the best springs I can recall for timely precipitation in the March-June period. So based on that I am expecting above average horn quality this year. The monsoons this year do seem slightly down though but I don't expect any negative affects from the lower rainfall since July. Alpine looks in fantastically green shape at the moment. But to argue against myself I can remember many years in the past when horn quality did not meet expectations. Will be interesting to see what all the hunters conclude after this years hunts.

I will say that due to visibility and other impacts from the wallow fire a greater % of the monster bulls have already been harvested in the previous years since the fire, which might be the more significant impact on what we end up seeing this year.

• Like 2

Spring rains this year were above average and very timely in Alpine IMHO compared to former years. That is the key reason for my optimism on this year's horn quality. Bulls should start moving this week so we'll soon see what we shall see!

• Like 1

Spring rains this year were above average and very timely in Alpine IMHO compared to former years. That is the key reason for my optimism on this year's horn quality. Bulls should start moving this week so we'll soon see what we shall see!

unit 27 over near New Mexico was about the only unit that got good spring rains so there's a chance it may be better over there but for the most part everywhere else in the state didn't get much from March until July