muledeerarea33?

Adoption

What is the home study you guys talk about?

Good job guys, the world needs more of you.

They come to your house and interview you and your spouse together, and separately. They also look around the house and make sure it is safe for a child. They look for things like pool fences and make sure guns are insecure places, things like that. They also do a background check and you have to get a fingerprint clearance card. It's crazy that you have to do stuff like that to adopt a child but any Tom, Dick or Harry can have a child with guns laying on the counter and no fence around the pool and nobody says anything about it.

What is the home study you guys talk about?

Good job guys, the world needs more of you.

A home study is just what it sounds like. They come and look at your household. Do background checks, make sure your property is safe, financial review....

Thanks, I didn't know they get that involved. It's a good thing they didn't come by the house I grew up. It wasn't bad, believe me, but it looks like they want perfection. Hopefully they look at the big picture and that part of the process is real quick.

our agency came over and did a mock home study with us to help us get our house inline. I had to put trigger locks on all my guns, it doesnt matter that they are in my safes, we had to buy a pool lifesaver hook and throw (like you see at a public pool), we had to adjust our water temp down a couple of degrees, fire extinguishers, evacuation map and plan. They interviewed our birth children and asked them how we parented. I was hoping I hadnt screwed up my kids and they weren't telling me, turns out, we had been doing just fine.

• Like 1

pray and network and pray and network. do not forget about the Fed Income Tax CREDIT that will help offset some of your expenses after it is all said and done. Also, do not forget to pray and network. we have adopted two. first was through an agency at birth. second was at 18 months and we were friends with the foster parents.

• Like 1

So far thé cost part of my question is cheaper than what I've read. I had no idéa about thé home study! It'll take me a year or so to get that set up. I'm living in a construction zone right now , I'm sûre that's a deal breaker. As far as the Church aspect, thé wife and I don't attend à Church but we were both raised catholic. Nothing against churches but we choose to worship outsider of a church. Should we start attending?

No disrespect , not sure of your situation ,but really sounds like a bunch of red tape and b.s. ... wow crazy for sure ....

It is a lot of red tape, and normally I would tell someone to pack sand that required such info and had so many rules. Then I factor how bad it is for the kids who are in need. Our two kids were in a group home/shelter for 10 months. They were institutionalized little robots. I bet all the others that do foster care and have adopted will agree it's worth the suffering. I had to buy 1200 dollars worth of trigger locks, all keyed the same. Stupid but not worth getting rid of our license over.

• Like 1

No disrespect , not sure of your situation ,but really sounds like a bunch of red tape and b.s. ... wow crazy for sure ....

It is a lot of red tape, and normally I would tell someone to pack sand that required such info and had so many rules. Then I factor how bad it is for the kids who are in need. Our two kids were in a group home/shelter for 10 months. They were institutionalized little robots. I bet all the others that do foster care and have adopted will agree it's worth the suffering. I had to buy 1200 dollars worth of trigger locks, all keyed the same. Stupid but not worth getting rid of our license over.
I understand , just seems that good folks that wanna help always get screwed one way or another , my hat is off for those that do this ...
  • Like 1

So many great posts, and great info. It is so worth doing, either fostering or adopting. Life changing in so many good ways.

But $1200 in trigger locks...at $12.99 each... I need to buy more guns! Holy crap you must have an armory!

The homestudy is a pain, especially since it takes so long. And we had a great experience with catholic social services in our area as well.

Yes, a heart felt thanks to all whom open up their hearts and homes to the little ones that didn't have the best start in life. I know how tough it is.

And a big thanks to my adoptive parents whom by great fortune were avid hunters.

My adoption was finalized in 1962 and I was given my new home and second chance on Mother's Day that year.

• Like 8