border hunter

Davis tent panniers?

Anyone have experience with the panniers from Davis tent. Im mostly looking at saddle panniers to help pack quarters out. I know there are some on here with tons of packing experience im open to any and all suggestions.

No experience with their paniers but they do know canvas for sure. Just make sure they are leather reinforced also with nylon webbing.

• Like 1

Depending on your price range take a look at somo mule paniers in the 450.00 to 500.00 range, this should last a lifetime.

The Davis paniers look fine but don't seem to be a long term set up. They should be fine for 2 times a year and last a long time but if your looking for heavy use your price range should be up over 400.00 per pair.

Another really good set is outfitterpackstaion.com bear cloth paniers for 380.00 set I don't own them but I hear that are really good.

I rarely use over the saddle panniers and I have the Davis Deluxe set.

I can't think of too much advantage you'll get other than the cheap cost and the ability to ride that horse a short distance with the panniers on.

Problem with these over the saddle panniers, they usually have no breechings so you'll need those or a crupper on your saddle if it's steep or your horse will be wearing the paniers around his neck. If the panniers have a belly strap make sure you don't tighten that anymore than you would the back cinch on a roping saddle or you'll cut off the animals air.

If you still want the panniers I'll sell these.

post-11051-0-81581900-1501616655_thumb.jpg

Last year I bought a huge set of cordura saddle bags. I hauled deer quarters in them last fall and this spring packed enough goods in them to feed two horses a dog, 2 adults, tent, lantern, etc. I'll take a picture of them soon as I can dig them out.

• Like 1

When I pack elk quarters/meat I prefer panniers without lids. To me they're just in the way and serve no real purpose. It's easy to drop the hinds on one horse, the fronts and misc on the other, tie a couple box hitches and roll. I don't think you need to over think it much, just get what is easy and makes sense for you. If you're in the Tucson area and looking for packing equipment I have some panniers and a saddle that aren't getting used much.

• Like 1

I know nothing of their packing stuff but the wall tent I bought this summer is top notch. I sent a question on a Saturday around 3 before I bought figuring I would hear back Monday or Tuesday. Nope I heard back 30 minutes after I sent the e-mail. This was from the man himself and was super helpful. I don't think I will need customer service but I was impressed by the quick, personal way the company is run.

• Like 2