AZ Wildcat

7mm WSM - Favorite Loads?

For those of you who have been loading for 7MM WSM, what are your favorite loads? I'm particularly interested in loads for 168 Bergers, 162 ELD-Xs and 160 GR AccuBonds, but if you have something else you're happy with I'd love to hear about that too.

8T for the 180s is what we have.

You just never know, as we shoot 208 Amaxs out of 308 Wins at 2450-2500fps with 1-12T and they are fine out to 1200. No BS there as we have shot 100s that way.

Did a little looking around and some with 9.5T are shooting the 180.

• Like 1

8T for the 180s is what we have.

You just never know, as we shoot 208 Amaxs out of 308 Wins at 2450-2500fps with 1-12T and they are fine out to 1200. No BS there as we have shot 100s that way.

Did a little looking around and some with 9.5T are shooting the 180.

Interesting. I played around with some 175 gr ELD-Xs last summer and had decent results, but I only tested them out to 100 yds before I got involved in some other stuff and set that process aside for awhile. I'll try some 180 Bergers too, I'd love it if I could get a heavier bullet to shoot well out of this rifle.

How do you find brass for 7 wsm?

Yeah that's the hard part. I have a decent supply of fired brass I've collected over the years. Last summer I back ordered 100 cases from an online retailer (I can't remember who), wasn't optimistic I'd ever get any and forgot all about it. A couple months ago they showed up in the mail! Right time / right place I guess...

• Like 1

Brass is about the only thing holding me back from a long action 7 wsm

Plenty of 7 SAUM brass available from Norma and the cartridge has very similar ballistics with less powder. 7 Sherman Short Mag would be another option assuming you are willing to fire form SAUM brass.

• Like 1

Sorry I hikacked. My stw is a 9.5 twist. It shoots the 180 vld's in tiny groups. I'm around 3000 fps and 3000-7000 elevation.

Plenty of 7 SAUM brass available from Norma and the cartridge has very similar ballistics with less powder. 7 Sherman Short Mag would be another option assuming you are willing to fire form SAUM brass.

Is the saum a good candidate for a long action like the wsm is?

• Like 1

When the WSMs and the SAUMs came out (what, 15 years or so ago?) I somehow got it in my head that the WSMs would be more likely to gain a large following than the SAUMs. I've long since forgotten why I thought this, but it seems I bet on the wrong horse. That said, I LOVE my 7mm WSM...it's my favorite rifle I've ever owned (although a newly-purchased 270 WSM may overtake it).

• Like 2

Is the saum a good candidate for a long action like the wsm is?
I would think so, but better question for a gunsmith or someone that has built one. I can say this, with my 7 mm SAUM, I am extremely limited to my seating depth options if I want to chase the lands. The long heavy high BC Bullets usually like to be seated closer to the lands. I was able to get some of these to group about an inch when I loaded to magazine length. I ended up loading bullets with a tangent ogive that are less sensitive to seating depth and had several different bullets group about 1/4". I had to give up BC to shoot these bullets. If I had a long action, I would be able to seat the long heavy bullets where I wanted them. In the end, I am still really happy with the results. The 145 LRX's are grouping well under an inch and I am right about 3200 FPS.
  • Like 1