Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

decoys and calls

I'm wondering how many people use cow decoys when early archery hunting? Also, do all the different cow calls make a difference, and if so, how do I know which one to use? I got my first archery tag in 27 and need advice. Thank you

Go with the hoochie mama call. It's easy to use and the elk love it! :P

• Like 2

I agree with kaz. Elk love the hoochie mama because they know to run away fast.

I carry several different reed calls as well as several diaphragm calls. You never know what they will want to hear.

You can use just about any of the QUALITY cow calls effectively. Custom calls are even better because they do not sound like everyone else out in the woods.

More importantly than WHICH call to use, is knowing HOW and WHEN to use it. If you are just going to go blow on it randomly, you might as well get a hoochie mama.

Just pick one to start. Learn to use it and practice. And practice. Then practice some more. There are some very good learning cd/dvds out there. Watch a lot of youtube and LISTEN.

Nothing worse than a bunch of dudes out in the woods blowing kazoos pretending to elk hunt.

• Like 3

FWIW

The best elk calling advice I ever got was to "leave the bugle at camp and only hit the cow call every 15th time you think you want to." The easiest sin to commit is over calling.

• Like 1

I've got a couple cow calls designed by Steve Chappell. An excellent, natural elk sound.

This year I'm going to carry with me a Montana cow elk decoy. Wish I had one on my last hunt. Maybe i can bring that bull in that seems to always be hung up at 75 yards.

I have that elk on a stick decoy. I used it last year helping a buddy on his hunt. Can't say it helped, but definitely never spooked one off. Mostly I just did it for something new to try. I actually thought it was kind of fun messing with it. Might try some more this year.

It is hilarious to watch a bull come up to a cow decoy and say "my you are looking thin this year Mabel".

As far as the cow calls my best advice is to act like the typical woman and play hard to get. In other words cow call no more than 20% of the time you hear the real calls. Less calling and playing hard to get has been a key to success for us.

Do whatever you want but please for the love of god do not use them before the hunt starts and don't drive roads calling to locate! That is the worst thing hunters do to educate the elk to what's up... Dumb bulls catch arrows wise bulls live...

• Like 1

Do whatever you want but please for the love of god do not use them before the hunt starts and don't drive roads calling to locate! That is the worst thing hunters do to educate the elk to what's up... Dumb bulls catch arrows wise bulls live...

Good advice, or at least turn the truck off.

Ive seen some of the funniest crap out while hunting elk. I bet I have called in just as many hunters as I have elk. called hunters right out of there trucks.

Elk dont care what call you use. they all work. I dont buy the educated theory like many others do. I been calling yotes since the 80s and call close to phoenix dont have a problem calling them in. same goes for elk up north. we dont have a problem calling them in. I use what ever calls I find at the closest store. hoochie mama I been using for the last 15+ years never failed me yet.

The main problem with calling is movement and talking(so called whispering) cut that out and your success will come way up.

we have had not just stay 100 -300 yards out and not come in for 30-40 mins. sometimes we just wail on the call and they finally come in. cause curiosity got the best of them. other times they go way because 1 they are bored with you or they saw you. I mean think about it. full camo and your walking around in the woods. how many elk seen bushes mover around, Id be disturbed and leave too ;)

the best one ever was Daughter and I last year had a decent bull come in about 80-100 yards and just hang. his cows were with in 20 yards. what seemed like an hour this bull would not budge. he would bugle at me I would bugle at him. I finally got pissed and grabbed a big stick and beat the crap out of the ground with it. just after I blue the ugliest bugle out there even the daughter said WTF was that. then blew it again and that bull tucked his down down and ran straight at us stopped behind some bushs and kid couldnt get a clean shot. funniest thing I ever saw..

sometimes people put too much emphasis on the type of calls and how much or how little they are supposed to be used just like camo and everything else.. take what you want they all work and go have a good time dont worry about what anyone else says.

we did call in a elk calf 2 years ago with a hoochie mama. with in hand petting ranged 1 to 2 feet?. he hung out for a while and they 4 of us were just standing there looking at it whispering to each other.. we think he might have been with a cow that our friend shot the day before. Daughter enjoyed it so thats all that mattered.

next month She gets to do it for the 3rd time in a row same unit same areas same dates going to be fun as always whether she tags one or not.

I see 208muley and AzDiamondHeat have hunted NM. At least the advice they give seems to make me think so. ^_^

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. If anyone has any unit 27 specific advice please message me. Not looking for anybody's honey holes, just any advice that anyone is willing to share. Thank you

I see 208muley and AzDiamondHeat have hunted NM. At least the advice they give seems to make me think so. ^_^

Yep but the same crap goes on in every state.

what Delw said, I don't think what kind of call is too important, just my 2 cents...Years ago I was taking a walk on one of the rim roads with my 5 &7 year old daughters when we saw an elk herd up the road a few hundred yards. We hunkered down behind a downed pine and I "whistled a few notes just with my mouth just to see if I could get them to come closer. As we watched the elk, I heard a twig snap behind us and we turned to see a spike bull standing about 30 feet behind us. I was concerned cause he didn't seem wary at ALL and was staring at us. In fear he may do something crazy with my daughters there, I yelled at him and he just stood there. I finally picked up a pine cone and hit him with it. I almost think a kazoo WOULD have worked with a crazy rutting bull