Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Searching for someone to setup a rifle

I'm looking for someone that can mount a scope and set up a custom turret for it in the Phoenix/Flagstaff area. I'd like to have someone actually shoot it and get it totally set up, not just run a program, that way I know it's right and I am not tinkering with it. Any recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

You only need to contact one person...LANCE!!!!!!

• Like 2

You only need to contact one person...LANCE!!!!!!

Yup !!! Very busy man and he has a early rifle bull tag !

Maybe contact member Southernexpress?

• Like 1

Setting up a rifle for long range shooting can be a bit of a drawn out process. You need a load that is both consistent and accurate. Finding the most accurate ammo can take a few outings (more if you are handloading and tweaking your recipe). You will need a quality scope with repeatable results in terms of dialing up and then returning to your zero. If you don't have a higher end scope, then you are wasting both time and resources. You will need to mount that scope and then take it to the range and confirm the absence of cant by shooting at 100 yds with your zero and then dialing up 30 MOA and then shooting at the same 100 yd target to see if you tracked the plumb line you traced onto your target. Then dial back down again to see if you return to zero. Now you need to run your ballistics program to get a drop table. Then you head into the real world by actually shooting your load at 400 and 800 yds to see what your actual drops are (as opposed to those calculated in the ballistics table for you). You then go back into your ballistics program and change your speed and/or BC to get the program to reflect your actual results in the field.

It's a lot of work and usually involves several trips to remote locations where you can shoot long range. In the end, what you will have is a rifle set up for long distance shots. At this point, the shooter becomes the weak link in the system.

I would be glad to help out, but my time commitment is zero until much later this fall - probably too late for your hunt. I will be completing the set-up of rifle for a friend (started process last year) for his cow elk hunt in December. I am willing to help where I can, but my time for outings is extremely limited.