I have a 25-06 I'm about ready to throw down the chute!

I happen to have a loving home for any unruly 25-06's. I promise to feed them whatever it takes to get them shooting appropriately. ;)

If it wasn't for my gunsmith convincing me to turn that .25-06 into a custom .280AI for my son, I'd consider making you an offer, especially now that I've almost got my 6.5WSM figured out. Stupid wildcat rounds...

• Like 1

I have a 25-06 I'm about ready to throw down the chute! I have a Rem 700 and I've tried IMR4831, MagPro, and, now, RL 22 with Barnes 100gr TSX (only hunt with Barnes) and I can't get the stupid thing to group worth a darn, but the IMR4831 loads and MagPro were both fired off clean barrels. Of course, I haven't monkeyed with seating depths beyond going with the standard 0.050" that Barnes recommends starting with. Barnes' manual lists H1000 for the 90gr, but not the 100gr. Will H1000 work with the 100gr? I just picked up some H1000 for another rifle (6.5WSM), so I can try that. Otherwise, I'll pick up some RL 19 or try again with the MagPro and a fouled barrel

At the same time, my gunsmith up here is talking me into converting that rifle to a .280AI to give to my son when he outgrows his current youth model in a couple of years.

Hate to say it but it's time to try a different bullet. Try something from Sierra. If the bullets in the green box don't shoot something is wrong with the rifle. Make sure your scope mounts and action screws are tight as well.

• Like 1

I have a 25-06 I'm about ready to throw down the chute! I have a Rem 700 and I've tried IMR4831, MagPro, and, now, RL 22 with Barnes 100gr TSX (only hunt with Barnes) and I can't get the stupid thing to group worth a darn, but the IMR4831 loads and MagPro were both fired off clean barrels. Of course, I haven't monkeyed with seating depths beyond going with the standard 0.050" that Barnes recommends starting with. Barnes' manual lists H1000 for the 90gr, but not the 100gr. Will H1000 work with the 100gr? I just picked up some H1000 for another rifle (6.5WSM), so I can try that. Otherwise, I'll pick up some RL 19 or try again with the MagPro and a fouled barrel

At the same time, my gunsmith up here is talking me into converting that rifle to a .280AI to give to my son when he outgrows his current youth model in a couple of years.

Hate to say it but it's time to try a different bullet. Try something from Sierra. If the bullets in the green box don't shoot something is wrong with the rifle. Make sure your scope mounts and action screws are tight as well.

For both professional and personal reasons, I'm pretty much limited to Barnes or other non-lead options. I can monkey with seating depth adjustments, try the previous two powders on a fouled barrel, and try a couple of other powders that I know work great for Barnes. I had a 0.6" group with 95% max load of IMR4831 a long time ago, but I wanted to move those bullets faster and try other powders. It will end up being a mute point, anyway, now that I'm going to have it rebuilt in a year or two.

But I've heard that about Sierra bullets and I've considered that it could very well be the rifle. I could also drop the money on a new stock and get rid of the Rem factory synthetic stock made of recycled coke bottles.

Have to agree with Mr. Stomp. If it doesn't shoot a bullet in a green box, something is wrong. At the bottom of the load data there is an accuracy and hunting load listed, after playing with the seating depth on the accuracy load, if it ain't shooting, something is wrong with the gun.

Stomp, are those match kings comparable to bergers when it comes to terminal performance?

I have had great luck with several SMK loads.

.224" 52 SMK on a bunch of small game/varmints

.224" 69 SMK on quite a few jackrabbits, cottontails, a fox, a javalina, and several coyotes from 10 to 300+ yards

.257" 100 SMK on a coyote at 1327 yards

.257" 100 SMK on a javalina @ 100ish yards

.257" 100 SMK on 4 different deer from 80 to 200+ yards

.264" 142 SMK on several coyotes from 25 to 300+ yards

.284" 183 SMK on a coyote @ 350ish yards

.308" 175 SMK on bull elk @ 160ish yards

.308" 210 SMK on bull elk @ 211 yards

I am going to try the .284" 160 TMK in my .280AI and see how they fly and kill.

• Like 2

As Lance has said the Match Kings do kill very well. I have a friend that I built a .260 Remington for that has killed numerous deer with the 142 at some pretty incredible distances and it has worked flawlessly. I have personally killed a handful of coyotes with the 69gr and quite a few with the 100gr match king in a .250 Savage. The Match Kings work thats for sure. I also seen a nice bull elk killed with a 175gr TMK out of a .308 at over 700 yards that folded right up as well.

• Like 2

I have a 25-06 I'm about ready to throw down the chute!

I happen to have a loving home for any unruly 25-06's. I promise to feed them whatever it takes to get them shooting appropriately. ;)

If it wasn't for my gunsmith convincing me to turn that .25-06 into a custom .280AI for my son, I'd consider making you an offer, especially now that I've almost got my 6.5WSM figured out. Stupid wildcat rounds...

Nice! I have a 25 WSM I need to dig out and play with again one of these days.

• Like 1

Lots of good load advice given here! I dreamed of the 25/06 back when Bob Milek used to write so fondly of it. I've had two - and two absolutely tack-driving rigs too. Let both slip away. I would add that the slow burning powders mentioned are all fine, but don't ignore the middle powders either. If the slow burners don't get you exactly what you want, H4350 or IMR 4350 will do dandy things in the '06, and will fly plenty fast enough too.

IA Born - sounds like maybe you have a sick rifle. Has your gunsmith checked everything out for you? Is it by chance a Remington CDL?

Lots of good load advice given here! I dreamed of the 25/06 back when Bob Milek used to write so fondly of it. I've had two - and two absolutely tack-driving rigs too. Let both slip away. I would add that the slow burning powders mentioned are all fine, but don't ignore the middle powders either. If the slow burners don't get you exactly what you want, H4350 or IMR 4350 will do dandy things in the '06, and will fly plenty fast enough too.

IA Born - sounds like maybe you have a sick rifle. Has your gunsmith checked everything out for you? Is it by chance a Remington CDL?

The thought has crossed my mind. Its a Rem 700 SPS (formerly ADL back from from 2006). I'm wondering if a change from the factory plastic synthetic stock to a McMillan would make a difference, but, since I'm more than likely to have it switched to a .280AI in the next couple of years, I'm not going to put too much time/money into it right now.