Sign in to follow this  
Jacobd3006

Map app

I've been using backcountry navigator and it definitely removes the need for a handheld gps. I love it but I haven't tried some of the others mentioned.

And do these you guys are mentioning work without service? I'm told you can make them work without it but have no experience with them.

And do these you guys are mentioning work without service? I'm told you can make them work without it but have no experience with them.

Avenza does

I use backcountry navigator and can dowload before and use without service. Great app not much experience with the others..

+1 for Topomaps

Best app I've ever had, makes my handheld gps useless. Simple and straightforward to use.

But can you Save waypoints
Si

As far as I've seen the only thing Topomaps can't do that maybe others can is save your trails/path you've walked.

Most of if not all of the ones mentioned will work without service and on airplane mode even

Topo maps for iPhone works off grid IF you download the maps in advance. I like Topo because it has real 7.5 quads that the software pastes together for seamless maps. Now that the GPS is functional when in airplane mode I can hunt all day and use up less than 50% of my phone's battery. It doesn't store tracks, but allows for waypoints. It also has a neat shading feature that shows you what you can see of the terrain from your location. Poor man's 3D I guess, but it works. For under $10 try it and delete it if you don't like it. Back in the day I spent this much on couple of paper quad maps!

I do still carry my Rino along with my phone as it is much more rugged, has com capability as well as full tracking like any GPS.

• Like 2

Topo maps for iPhone works off grid IF you download the maps in advance. I like Topo because it has real 7.5 quads that the software pastes together for seamless maps. Now that the GPS is functional when in airplane mode I can hunt all day and use up less than 50% of my phone's battery. It doesn't store tracks, but allows for waypoints. It also has a neat shading feature that shows you what you can see of the terrain from your location. Poor man's 3D I guess, but it works. For under $10 try it and delete it if you don't like it. Back in the day I spent this much on couple of paper quad maps!

I do still carry my Rino along with my phone as it is much more rugged, has com capability as well as full tracking like any GPS.

That's what I use. I got it when it was free.

I like using the Avenza in conjunction with the MVUM. Woks off the GPS and can tell you where you are on the map. Good enough for getting around in the truck but wouldn't use it for precise locating. That is what I use my Garmin for.

• Like 1

I've been using "Offline Topo" by Trails Behind for years on my iPhones. It used to be a free app. Now its like $9.99. Works great for me. Once you download the app to your iphone, it utilizes the internal GPS, that's it. Constantly updates your location, you can set waypoints, elevation, sunrise/sunset. No signal or service needed.

I've sent a screen shot of my location to others with the app to find me (of course I used cell service to send my screenshot).

I have used it in 27, the true test to see if you are offline........