Maverick351

Sleeping bags

One of my best friends back in Iowa is selling his gently used Badlands Cinder -10 degree bag if you're interested. He's a great guy and is willing to ship. I can see if he still has it if you're interested.

https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/badlands-cinder-10-degree-sleeping-bag-long.56142/

What temp rating are you looking for? That makes a big difference in weight and loft. Being that you are looking at a budget of $100, that might eliminate any down bags. Down bags are great for being light, warm and they stuff very small. As far as synthetic bags at that price range, check out the Marmot Trestles 0*. You can find them on backpacker.com for $115 most of the time (or check steep and cheap, division of backpacker.com). That would be my choice for a synthetic bag. But my suggestion, save up another $100 and look at a Kelty Cosmic Down 0*. It's a great bag for a good price.

20 degree is all you need. You can find plenty from slk to Teton for all under 100 bucks at sportsman warehouse and all weight less then 3lbs or right at. FYI The lower temp rating adds more weight and space.

Error on going with a bag rated for a bit colder than what you want!

• Like 4

REI is having a closeout sale.

Campmor used to have a down bag for $99 - I've got one 20 degrees.

Color is awful and the shoulders are too narrow for me.

I'm looking for a WM Badger but they're like $700 new......

Also, look real hard at quilts : https://enlightenedequipment.com

I've got a Kelty 0 degree and a slumberjack 40 degree, but usually go with the campmor 20. You can always unzip if too warm and wear a base layer if REALLY cold.

As stated, always go colder than you expect - you're in the elements and typically at a higher elevation.

• Like 1

the internet is a buzz about the Aegis Ultralight down bag. 30° rating and only 1 lb! My buddy just ordered on for backpacking but hasn't tested it out yet. For $75 you can't beat it

I use a Nemo Salsa 15° and highly recommend it for side sleeping but that's over your budget

I think the three biggest lies in the outdoor world are temp rating on a sleeping bag, how many people in a tent, and said velocity on a box of ammo. I wonder if a politician had anything to do with them?

• Like 7

temp rating in the US is not by any standard - there is a standard in Europe for their bags.

I remember a very long, interesting thread over on Whiteblaze.

Another option....rent. REI rents backpacking equipment for pretty cheap. It's a way to try before you buy.

• Like 1

Another option....rent. REI rents backpacking equipment for pretty cheap. It's a way to try before you buy.

I had no idea they rented. that's a great idea.

Wonder what they'd do if I brought stuff back covered in hair and blood, smelling like a deer carcass.

• Like 1