Sign in to follow this  
outlaw357derf

Unit 23 Question

I have been doing some scouting in 23, and was wondering how busy the NF-71 road gets (its a pretty nice road). It seems to be a great central location for camp as you seem to be able to access the east and west side of this unit off of this road (turns into NF-609), but is it loaded with camps during the Oct-Nov hunt? I will be packing into places during the day and wont be spending my time hunting the roads, I ask more or less if there is a better place to camp with access to more country within the unit. I will be making more trips before the hunt to do more scouting but it is like a 5 hour drive for me and I appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer.

What tag do you have? I have seen a ton of deer through there but I think it mostly if not all mule deer. And like posted above there will be people camped everywhere. As for worrying about camp problems maybe I have been lucky. I have probably camped in 23 at least 50 times throughout the years and have never had a problem.

• Like 2

Might want to leave someone at camp . Have heard of people getting there stuff taken when they leave there camp in that unit!

it's enough of a problem that they (not shure what enforcement ageny) put up bait camps

We left our camp in 23 unattended during the HAM javelina hunt last year. When we returned there were fresh tire tracks coming in our camp and shells from what appeared to be hardboiled eggs spread around one side of the camp. Nothing was missing, but someone obviously took their time to have a closer look at our stuff--all the while peeling eggs for a snack? It was odd.

If U hunt 23 U must use 10 cameras and bait. How do You think all them big boys are found...LOL........BOB!

• Like 1