Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Advice on rifle for son 13yr

So I'm blessed with three boys. Currently 21, 20 and 13. In the summer of their 13th birthday I bought them their one rifle from "dad". I've tried to get something they can use for game from deer to elk (cow)

Oldest one has a 30-06. Great all around but thank God he was a tough kid and handled the recoil on the 06. Next kid I went other direction and did a 7mm-08. Both boys love their rifles and have had good success

All summer i have struggle to find a differnt caliber for my last and youngest son. He has shot deer and pigs with a .243 and is a nicer shooter He has an Oct cow elk tag. In a perfect world I'd find a lower recoil flat shooting caliber with a good range of bullet weight that he can hunt long shots for coues and good bullet choice for mule. And then Step it up for a cow elk. I hand load but want this to be a rifle that when he leaves home he can find factory ammo where ever his travels take him

So what do you guys think?

.308 (con bullet drop)

270 ( Con little light for big cow. I've taken. One but saw a buddy put three rounds in at distance to harvest)

7mm (con higher recoil and not a huge brake fan)

At 13 I received a .270 from my grandfather. He bought it to hunt elk but never harvested one. I was able to fulfill that wish of his when I was 14 and 18. Both 1 shot kills. .270 is plenty for elk (even bulls, we've done that 3x) at moderate ranges. Shoot them in the lungs and they die.

• Like 3

280 interesting but I think limited on factory options yes?

280 interesting but I think limited on factory options yes?

Various R700 and other Rem models

Browning Xbolt

Win 70

R93 Blaser

Nosler

Legendary Arms

Steyr

Cooper

Kimber

Weatherby mark v

Sorry lance meant ammunition not rifle. Are there that many options in factory ammo?

6.5 creedmoor. Berger gave me load data for 140 hvld and reloader 26 at 2917 fps. Plenty for cow elk and lots of match ammo available for when he leaves the nest.

• Like 1

Lance beat me to it. I was going to say .280 or .280AI. In a couple of years, when my currently 9-year old son is big enough for a full-size rifle, I'm probably going to have my .25-06 turned into a .280AI to be his "one rifle for everything for life" rifle. Some days, I hate my gunsmith for putting that in my head, but others, I'm excited to do this. I even have my wife convinced its a great idea!