Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Trekking poles for hunting?

I have used a single pole for years. Great for moving things out of the way (snakes, spiders, cactus, wait a minute plants, etc). Also good for bino stability for glassing. When backpack camping I use a tarp and my pole as the "tent" pole. So many uses I feel naked without it when hiking.

Mine is an aluminum one from REI with a hard cork round ball top I really like. Once I actually harvested a Grouse in NV while backpacking with one of these.

Yes, on my sheep hunt I made a walking stick from an agave stem from the advice of Chris Harlow. It helped tremendously for the reasons listed above. I like the collapsible ones for the bag when I might need something.

• Like 1

I used trekking poles for the first time last year and really valued them a lot. Of course. I then used one to help push own the top strand of a barbie fence and bent it so it will no longer close properly. They were worth their weight in gold packing out a quartered coues buck down a steep incline.

I appreciate all the responses. I have a set ordered.

The only thing I don't like about them is when maneuvering through manzanita and thick scrub oak (any thick vegetation). Seems like they are more hassle than a benefit. Great for heavy loads with no brush or on trails. I caught a lot of shoot from my hunting partner and still do........"he's too" cool to use them!

I just picked up a set of Black Diamond carbon poles today. I'll use them on my pack in and pack out of base camp. They will probably stay in base camp while I am out hunting.

I use them, they are awesome. Even consider if they+your arms can take off 10% of each step you're hiking with a loaded pack, that adds up to a lot over time and might leave your legs back a little less worked at the end of a day.

They make a great bipod as well.

The only thing I don't like about them is when maneuvering through manzanita and thick scrub oak (any thick vegetation). Seems like they are more hassle than a benefit. Great for heavy loads with no brush or on trails. I caught a lot of shoot from my hunting partner and still do........"he's too" cool to use them!

Concern about them getting tangled in brush is one of the main reasons I have not tried them before. I can see myself having a temper tantrum if they constantly became tangled in brush. I ordered ones that can collapse to 30 inches so I could put them in my pack if things get to thick.

This is one of the reasons I use one pole. I like to have one hand free to grab a pistol, steady a rifle sling and/or hang onto a tree branch or rock while traversing steep slopes. The one pole is also lighter (since there is only one of them) and easy to collapse and store if not needed. Two are surely better for stability when carrying really heavy loads, but one is a compromise I am comfortable with.

Therefore Cell4soul you might try leaving one in camp when out hunting so see if this works for you.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I use one pole. I like to have one hand free to grab a pistol, steady a rifle sling and/or hang onto a tree branch or rock while traversing steep slopes. The one pole is also lighter (since there is only one of them) and easy to collapse and store if not needed. Two are surely better for stability when carrying really heavy loads, but one is a compromise I am comfortable with.

Therefore Cell4soul you might try leaving one in camp when out hunting so see if this works for you.

Good advice!

A dried up century plant stem works good

Hey, I'm in 4B !!! Are there trophy century plants here?

Here is the REI pole I use. Actually this is updated with a better locking system. I really like the cork ball head. It doesn't get sweaty, allows you to rotate your grip to point it down hill or up, balances a bino nicely and in a pinch can take out a grouse, become a tent pole or camera mono-pod. True trekking poles appear to be designed for use on relatively level trails. This one works great off trail. Proven off trail in AZ, AK, CO, NV and UT.

https://www.rei.com/product/847813/rei-co-op-hiker-power-lock-staff-single