Edge

Name that gun!

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

There were several German & Italian companies that made Colt knockoffs during the 1960-70s. One of them?

Yes. It's a Hawes. Made in Germany. My Dad bought this in the early 70's at K-Mart.

Yeah I have a German made .22 looks just like, my grandad bought it at a now defunct tucson store in the 60s. It's mission last 5 1/2 decades is dispatching rattlers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 10Turkeys said:

Yes. It's a Hawes. Made in Germany. My Dad bought this in the early 70's at K-Mart.

I sold dozens of them when I worked at the Jewell Box. They also made a Ruger Single-Six combo that we sold for $29.99 with both cylinders. I believe Uberti also made a Single Action Army knockoff.

19 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

BTW, if I recall Hawes was merely an importer here in the US and the pistols were actually made by JP Sauer in Germany -- the same company that made the Weatherby rifles of old, pre-Japan and now WY.

48 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

BTW, if I recall Hawes was merely an importer here in the US and the pistols were actually made by JP Sauer in Germany -- the same company that made the Weatherby rifles of old, pre-Japan and now WY.

This says H. Schmidt, Ostein/Rhoen. Made in West Germany on the barrel. I think it cost 30 some dollars if I remember right.

19 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

This says H. Schmidt, Ostein/Rhoen. Made in West Germany on the barrel. I think it cost 30 some dollars if I remember right.

I recall that name on some of the .22 pistol models, but they were low quality, basically made of some low grade alloy rather than steel. Is yours a .22 LR or a mag?

13 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I recall that name on some of the .22 pistol models, but they were low quality, basically made of some low grade alloy rather than steel. Is yours a .22 LR or a mag?

.22 LR.

11 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I've seen Hoodrats on TV turn their gun sideways, but I can't recall anyone shooting a gun upside down like that!

Curly Bill did.

20 minutes ago, olmos1010 said:

Curly Bill did.

You have me there, at least in the movie he did. But did it go down like really?

2 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

You have me there, at least in the movie he did. But did it go down like really?

I wasn't there but Sheriff Whites death is well documented.

13 minutes ago, Edge said:

I wasn't there but Sheriff Whites death is well documented.

But was it the Curly Bill spin like in the movie that shot him?

5 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

But was it the Curly Bill spin like in the movie that shot him?

Yes