Edge

Name that gun!

10 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Trigger guard and stock says Marlin. 

If it did it lied

Yip Mossberg 152k 22lr semi auto manufactured from 1950 to 1957.

48 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Trigger guard and stock says Marlin. 

By the looks of it I'd have to agree.

Just now, dse said:

97 winchester

Pretty easy, huh.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Pretty easy, huh.

A Browning design. I can't recall if it was the 97 or 93, but when I worked at the Jewel Box we had a couple come through with a safety issue, ala like firing when the slide is racked forward? Do you know of such?

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

A Browning design. I can't recall if it was the 97 or 93, but when I worked at the Jewel Box we had a couple come through with a safety issue, ala like firing when the slide is racked forward? Do you know of such?

That's an intentional design called slam fire but you have to keep the trigger depressed. There's Ithaca shotguns made with the slam fire feature also.

The '93 and '97 were great for clearing trenches or defoliating jungles. Just, don't get captured with one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Edge said:

That's an intentional design called slam fire but you have to have the trigger depressed. The '93 and '97 were great for clearing trenches or defoliating jungles.

😂 Kinda like a nail gun, huh? I saw one 93 that been blown apart with use of a heavy smokeless load. Fortunately, the guy didn't get hurt. 

Just now, Outdoor Writer said:

😂 Kinda like a nail gun, huh? I saw one 93 that been blown apart with use of a heavy smokeless load. Fortunately, the guy didn't get hurt. 

Yeah I think the 93s were black powder only.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yeah I think the 93s were black powder only.

A few years ago, I regularly wrote articles for the National Shooting Sports Foundation website and print magazine. One of them was on the popularity of cowboy action shooting. I did a couple phone interviews, and attended a shoot at Ben Avery. The 97 was and probably still is a very popular gun for these shoots. I think someone is or was actually making reproductions of the 97. 

22 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

A few years ago, I regularly wrote articles for the National Shooting Sports Foundation website and print magazine. One of them was on the popularity of cowboy action shooting. I did a couple phone interviews, and attended a shoot at Ben Avery. The 97 was and probably still is a very popular gun for these shoots. I think someone is or was actually making reproductions of the 97. 

Both Cimarron and Norinco.

30 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

From my cowboy shooting forums, many reproductions are Chinese made and so poorly done they don't hold up and most gunsmiths refuse to work on them. Uberti builds the Cimmaron.