Edge

Name that gun!

6 hours ago, Edge said:

130_1.thumb.jpg.6e9c5f250aaa68e5ad8557e3901b8df7.jpg130.thumb.jpg.adca0ccfb8461089145cbad09f83a5ac.jpg

Name that gun including cal. Not as easy as it looks...

1866 Springfield in 50-70

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

I'll go Springfield 45-90.

Don't recall ever seeing one in that configuration, so maybe that's what Tim means. They were originally muskets and many later converted, but most were 45-70 or 50-70. I'm still going with the 1865 conversion. 

1865 conversion

Springfield Model 1865 Allin Conv.

U.S. Springfield Model 1865 First Allin 2-Band Trapdoor .58 RF (AL4607)

• Like 1

It's an 1881 but neither a 45 0r 50 cal. Two of these were issued to each US army company at the time.

Hint. Look at front sight.

10 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It's a 20ga. shotgun!

Winner

I came across this gun online being auctioned off. How unique it is.

The army was different 140 years ago.  Companies of men supplied their own food, did prep work and cooking.

SN: 381 US Military issue foraging shotgun built using some musket parts, issued two per company to assist in gathering food. Bore is bright, with areas of pitting or corrosion. Metal is mostly dark plum brown color with bright spots from rubbing; lock plate is a dull silvery gray with patches of patina. Wood is fair condition, with visible cracks at wrist and in buttstock, many dents and gouges. Marked "1881" in italics on breech block. Condition is NRA Fair *** Antique Firearm *

https://reatapassauctions.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Springfield-1881-Trapdoor-Forager-20-Ga/lotInformation/56808416

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Edge said:

I came across this gun online being auctioned off. How unique it is.

The army was different 140 years ago.  Companies of men supplied their own food, did prep work and cooking.

SN: 381 US Military issue foraging shotgun built using some musket parts, issued two per company to assist in gathering food. Bore is bright, with areas of pitting or corrosion. Metal is mostly dark plum brown color with bright spots from rubbing; lock plate is a dull silvery gray with patches of patina. Wood is fair condition, with visible cracks at wrist and in buttstock, many dents and gouges. Marked "1881" in italics on breech block. Condition is NRA Fair *** Antique Firearm *

https://reatapassauctions.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Springfield-1881-Trapdoor-Forager-20-Ga/lotInformation/56808416

Yup. It was actually called a Forager. I had read this one before I posted the 20 ga. answer:

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/Rare-U.S.-Springfield-Trapdoor-1881-Forager-Shotg_BC74D90B63/

1221201243.thumb.jpg.3d7574a246de64541f95160405c36542.jpg

Brand and model, please.

Picked this ol timer up for the ol lady.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

Colt 1917?

No sir, but I wish it was.

• Like 1