H&R 929?

I think the 929 was a top break?

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Looks like it could be an old H&R 922? 

Winner

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

I think the 929 was a top break?

No it had a pin to pull to swing the cylinder open. And it held 9 rounds.

38 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Sold a couple at the Jewel Box, but the older ones with the octagon barrels were somewhat rare. 

Yes first version models like this had octagon barrels, gold colored front sight. Surprised to find one in great shape, cheap.

wm_7277698.thumb.jpg.c2e580fa650d7d294fee8f33f382b7ae.jpg

17 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yes first version models like this had octagon barrels, gold colored front sight. Surprised to find one in great shape, cheap.

wm_7277698.thumb.jpg.c2e580fa650d7d294fee8f33f382b7ae.jpg

If you had posted this pic 1st I think I would have had a shot.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

If you had posted this pic 1st I think I would have had a shot.

Yeah, learned my lesson on an I J I had posted

35 minutes ago, Edge said:

Man, that one is in great condition. So how much? 

11 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Man, that one is in great condition. So how much? 

$200

8 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I'll trade you a Cobra Derringer for it, plus a nickel on you.😏

I'm going to do some polishing on that Derringer's trigger assembly. Pretty snappy recoil, shoot yours yet?

1 minute ago, Edge said:

I'm going to do some polishing on that Derringer's trigger assembly. Pretty snappy recoil, shoot yours yet?

My son did. I tumbled the trigger and hammer. I trimmed the main spring a little, but be careful with that. I also put a little gription on the trigger and it's about 50% better. 

Tim, 

Don't know how much you researched the 922, but I found this below info on Gun Broker this a.m. Looks like your fine purchase was made prior to 1937. SN should pinpoint it more. 

the h&r model 922 was introduced approx. 1925. it was h&r's first large frame 22 rimfire revolver. between 1925 and 1952 the only barrel length was 6 inches, the 10 inch barrel version was called "the hunter". the octagon barrel was dropped in 1937 and the round barrel introduced in 1938. the two piece saw handle grips were dropped in 1930 and the grip frame was changed in 1931 to accomadate the same style one piece grips used on the model 999 sportsman. between 1925 and 1952 i have identified at least 7 variations in the model 922.

in 1953 the model 922 was redesigned and production continued until 1961. production was stopped in 1961 when the model 900 was introduced. in 1974 the model 900 was discontinued and production on the 922 was started again. it remained in production until 1979. this time discontinued in favor of the model 622 (6 shot version).

post world war II model 922's were considered the top of the solid frame revolver line and fit and finish show this (they also had a gold front sight). there is no serial number listing on most of H&R's pre world war II models and the serial numbers for the model 922 may have been a contination of the model 1904 large frame centerfire revolver (on which it is based). serial numbers in the 140k's were probably manufactuuured in the late 1920's.

more research has shown the introduction date of the model 922 was most likely 1927 (not listed in 1926 catalog but listed in 1928). this model 922 is from the same era as the others in this thread. recently a model 922 with a reported three digit serial number showed up on the auction side of this site. but there were no pictures of the serial number or information on where it was found. it will have to remain unverified for now. the lowest verified serial number for the model 922 i have recorded so far is 125271 with 134444 being the next one.

for every one's information serial number with numbers x'ed out are of no use in research, full disclosure and exactly where they are found are the only numbers that can be included in any research. H&R discontinued the use of batch numbers in 1905/1906 and started using true serial numbers with the introduction of their smokeless powder models. for the time being it is still open for discussion as to if there was only one series for the solid frame models or several. in the top break model there seem to have been at leat two (hammer and hammerless) until the 1932 when the sportsman series was introduced when just about every different model has it own series. without factory records serial number series and ages are purely guesses based on the amount of information gathered by the researcher. i have a data base of over 2000 different H&R serial numbers but it is a known fact that H&R manufactured at least a million revolver between 1905 and 1942 and at least that many between 1871 and 1904.
bill
MODEL 922 DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL
LARGE SOLID FRAME 22 RIMFIRE CALIBER
1927-1952
9 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, blue finish, 6 inch octagon barrel, two piece over size walnut grips saw handle shaped, marked with company name and address on top of barrel, right side of barrel H&R 922 and caliber on left side of barrel.
First Variation 1927-1930 serial number range 125270*-144000*(estimate)
Second Variation 1931 DIFFERENCE: new grip shape (saw handle shape eliminated) serial number range 144000*-160000(estimate)
Third Variation 1932-1937 DIFFERENCE: new safety cylinder,serial number range 160000*-171000*(estimate)
Fourth Variation 1938-1939 DIFFERENCE; new grip frame and round barrel, serial number range 171000*-192000*(estimate)
Fifth Variation 1940- 1947 DIFFERENCE; same as 4th variation except letter code prefix to serial number A thru H
Sixth Variation 1948-1949 DIFFERENCE; a new barrel length, serial number letter codes I and J
Seventh Variation 1949-1952 DIFFERENCE; all-in-one cartridge extraction system, serial number letter codes J thru M
Eight Variation 1952 models for M922 Camper and M922 Bantam weight (see post 1953 models)
VALUE: 100%=$195 60%=$55 add 40% premium for 1st Variation and 20% premium for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Variations

~the two piece saw handle grips were dropped in 1930 and the grip frame was changed in 1931 to accomadate the same style one piece grips used on the model 999 sportsman~

So without digging it out and looking at serial number, it's pre1931, it has two piece saw handle grips. Soon as the ol lady exits, I'll look up the serial number.

Thanks pal.

PS in 1937 this model sold for $7.95

• Like 1

Okay, guys...this one will be going up for sale as soon as I can get a ballpark value from some experts. It won't be cheap, however. And you'll knew why when I tell you more about it. 

PB1.JPG.797f404a9cf77023b4e2f0d72dfdf33f.JPG

• Like 1