Edge

Name that gun!

4 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Click for larger image....

Click image for larger version  Name: PB3.JPG Views: 7 Size: 175.5 KB ID: 91836  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB4.JPG Views: 4 Size: 148.2 KB ID: 91837  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB5.JPG Views: 2 Size: 130.6 KB ID: 91838  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB6.JPG Views: 12 Size: 129.0 KB ID: 91839  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB7.JPG Views: 3 Size: 214.3 KB ID: 91840  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB8.JPG Views: 2 Size: 118.1 KB ID: 91841  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB9.JPG Views: 4 Size: 163.0 KB ID: 91842  

Click image for larger version  Name: PB10.jpg Views: 7 Size: 481.4 KB ID: 91843  

I merely open this thread and did not click on any of the pictures so proceed with caution.

image.thumb.png.fd1a5baa9cdb84b89cb6181d5e618ce7.png

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

I merely open this thread and did not click on any of the pictures so proceed with caution.

image.thumb.png.fd1a5baa9cdb84b89cb6181d5e618ce7.png

Nah, not a problem. The images were uploaded to the Parker Gun Collectors forum, a perfectly legit site. But they might have the image relay blocked. 

29 minutes ago, cactusjack said:

it is beautiful.  What a great family heirloom 

So now for the shocker; according to the experts on the PBCA site, this gun is one of the only 12 made in this configuation. 

I have to be honest.  That was one of my guesses.  It kind of looked like I thought it the whole time.  I recommend going to an auction house or gunbroker.  The crowd here won’t give what that’s worth.

2 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I have to be honest.  That was one of my guesses.  It kind of looked like I thought it the whole time.  I recommend going to an auction house or gunbroker.  The crowd here won’t give what that’s worth.

Yeah, I'm sitting pat right now until I get an idea of the real value. I'll be posting some better info in a bit. 

The text below is an exchange I had with several members of the Parker Bros. Collectors Assoc. (PRCA) forum in June/July 2011.

This is my initial post there:

Several years ago, I inherited a 10 ga. from my grandfather when he pased away. Although it all seems to be original with matching SNs on the barrels, forearm and receiver, it's unfortunately not in pristine shape.

It was likely rusty at some point because it appears the outer metal was perhaps polished clean with maybe a wire brush or steel wool. There are no actual scratches but there is some pitting left. The hammers, firing pins and triggers are intact and work just fine, as does the lifter release.

Here's a quick description:

Exposed hammers, lifter-type action and 35 1/2" (36"??) Damascus barrels. It has a small silver shield behind the tang and minimal engraving -- just scroll work, no birds and such. So I guess it's one of the lower grades produced.

The buttstock is walnut with a very nice figure to it. It has a silver metal butt plate. Slight crack between tang and the shield and the checkering has been worn down a bit. Forend also is cracked along the entire length except for about an inch at the front. It is still in one piece, however.

The SN is 18884. Other numbers I can find are a Patent of April 19 (or 12), 1876 and the number 9761 under the barrel. There are also a 4-1 and 3 stamped where the barrels fits to the action. The Patent on the buttstock is March 16, 1875.

I looked at the list of SNs here and see it was seemingly made in 1880.

I've pretty much resigned myself to continue using it has a decoration in my trophy room because of the sentimental value but wonder as to the real worth of it. Any guesses?
According to the Serialization Book compiled from Parker Brothers stock books, your gun appears to be a rare Grade 2 36" Damascus steel barrel ten gauge lifter action Parker with straight grip stock, unfortunately in abused condition.
ME:
Thanks for the info so far. So "rare" means what -- i.e. like how many were made?
Yes, rare, like not many made in that configuration. It makes Parker guys like me just go crazy. There were 12 ten gauge Grade 2 lifter Parkers made with 36" Damascus steel barrels according to our Serialization Book reference. There were 13 ten gauge Grade 2 lifters of all barrel types made with 36" barrels from a total ten gauge lifter Grade 2 production of 1854. There were 21 Grade 2 36" barrel lifters made in all gauges. These totals were extrapolated by the authors, but not neccesarily accurately.

THIS IS AN AN AUCTION LISTING FOR A SIMILAR SHOTGUN WITH 32" BARRELS. 

Parker Brothers Under Lifter Hammer Shotgun 10 Ga Damascus Twist Barrels
For Sale from CoGun Doctor |Positive feedback: 100% View | Verified Seller| 111 Completed SalesView Sellers Items

Free Shipping on orders over $50!
Transform Wooden Track Systems To A 3rd Dimension
Description:
Parker Brothers Under Lifter Hammer 10GA Shotgun with 32” Damascus Twist Barrels I Am selling this gun as a "NON SHOOTER" Because of the Damascus Twist Barrels Serial Number 11844 MFg 1879 Here is a real gem for PARKER collectors. But Understand, that by bidding you acknowledge that because of the DAMASCUS barrels this is considered a non Shooter . . I know that many people use these old guns with black powder loads with no problems, but that should be a decision by you and your gunsmith.. Gun is in poor to fair condition . As you can see the barrels retain some of the original, tiger tail, DAMASCUS pattern. The Lock-up is tight ant bore is 50% This is a fine collectable with excellent eye appeal. This is an ANTIQUE so NO FFL is required, it will ship directly to you Shipping will be $35. I will need the buyer to provide a Driver license with shipping address on it as proof of age . 3-day inspection privilege. Inspection period begins the day of delivery to you . It is your responsibility to inspect the gun in that time frame. In the case of a return, buyer pays all return costs. This does not cover items damaged in shipment; you must save the damaged shipping box and file a claim with the appropriate shipping company. All items must be in the exact condition that they left us in.. Returns accepted only if merchandise is not as advertised , pictured or grossly misrepresented . I am Not a expert on this Firearm I have researched it and I have disclosed anything I could find to correctly identify it and included pictures of the markings . If I have mis-stated anything any corrections will be welcomed To prevent misunderstandings please be sure of what you are buying before purchasing don’t hesitate to ask questions or request more pictures. You are also responsible for making sure you can legally purchase this gun in your State of residence I am verified to ship to California. No sales Internationally We accept cashiers check or money order only If I have your E-mail address I will notify you that the firearm has been delivered.
The 'lifter' was the first model of the world famous Parker shotgun built in Meridan, CT. It was called 'Lifter' due to the fact that opening the action required one to press - lift - the bar on the bottom of the frame ahead of the trigger guard. This model was in production from 1870 until replaced with a top lever model in the 1880s. During its period of production aproximately 4,500 Deluxe 'Grade 2' 'Lifter' guns were built. This Parker cost $80.00 new which was quite a high price when an average Winchester rifle or Colt SAA cost in the $25.00 range. Early Parker shotguns were prized by their owners, the vast majority saw heavy usage over a long period of time and very few have survived in excellent original condition.

NOTE: This long gun is being sold as an antique collector's item only, not as a shooting firearm. Buyers are fully responsible for abiding by their local firearms regulations. It can not be shipped to NY, NJ, DC, IL, or any location where Antique long arms are not fully exempt from firearms regulations. It can only be shipped to an FFL dealer in those locations. I will not ship outside the USA. For the benefit of foreign buyers I will ship to a fully licensed firearms export agent of their choice within the USA.

17 hours ago, elkaholic said:

Probably ok corral 

Consensus is, no one is certain what became of the sawed off shotgun used by Doc Holliday at The OK Corral. 

When it was determined the Earp faction would confront the Cowboys in an effort to disarm them, the shotgun was handed to Doc by Virgil at the Marshal's  office.

Many historians believe the shotgun to have been a 10ga. Meteor shotgun cut down to only 20" in length and having a lanyard fixed forward of the chambers for slinging the gun under an overcoat.

After firing one round, Doc was said to have been nearly knocked off his feet by the guns recoil and threw it down in discuss, opting to pull his Colt Lightning.

Meteor.jpg.cc46901baf844794a4aee9d243b26361.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is this ^ code for something?? If so, I'll have to dig around in my junk drawer to find my decoder ring. 🙄

Know you are a historian , I figured it  could have been a gun used in a place like the ok corral or something. 

I’m curious to the value.  PM me if you don’t want to post here.  These old shotguns and rifles are starting to appeal to me.  I guess the current stuff has gotten kind of bland and the old stuff more interesting.

I watch this a lot lately.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCM86hA7E1y3vOJuzdqCXh1Q