AZTB5

Pre-rut hunting tactics/suggestions?

Hello all. So my dad, brother and I drew archery tags in NM. The hunt is from September 1st-15th. I have killed two bulls and a cow in AZ with my bow but obviously have never hunted elk this early. I suspect the first week to be a bit quiet. Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance!

You have to find where they are feeding and where they bed. Find a bull and stalk him, use the wind and cover and have fun. Most of all, take chances!! Good luck and let us know how the rut is going!

YES on the water. I will probably sit water every evening!!!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I scouted the area we are going to hunt this past week. Saw a lot of elk, a few decent bulls. They have been getting a lot of rain so there is water everywhere. Hopefully it will dry up a little, making water a good option.

Don't be afaid to sit water in the morning. We have killed a ton of good bulls in the morning. Frequently they will fly in after they bed their cows and grab a quick drink.

• Like 2

With the monsoons we have been getting there will still be water every where. You can try water but it would be better to find food and bedding. 3 of the last 4 years I have had the early season and temps can vary greatly. In wet years it will be high 70's and low 50's depending on where you will be. If it is a dry year add about 10-15 degrees. Find the cows because the bulls will be getting close. Last year I did not have an elk tag but did have a deer tag. Sept. 14th a 6x6 was pushing and herding cows. I watched them for an hour as they fed and they never made a sound. Had a cow walk 2 yards from me, what a rush.

The elk are usually bedded before 9 am and come out the last hour of daylight. Look at north slopes for bedding areas. As far as being quiet, after Labor day they will not make a sound. I have been in there and the elk were starting to be vocal and then Labor day hits and everybody driving roads are bugling like it is full on rut and the elk shut up. That has been my experience anyhow. Two years ago I was using a cow call just mewing and called 2 spikes and a 5 point in to 80 yards, this was Sept. 1st. They were bugling so I knew they were coming and my daughter had a blast seeing them. Then Labor Day hit like the previous 2 years, traffic increased on the roads, bugling by hunters started like full on rut crazy bulls, the elk shut up. I could not even get a bugle response at 2-3 in the morning where I knew bulls to be.

Have fun and good luck!

Quiet?!? Huh?

A lack of bugling
Yes thank you trophy.. I guess I wouldn't expect it to be quiet.
First week over there can be fairly quiet but from what I've seen they should be going good the second week of that hunt

Do you normally see big bulls cowed up by the second week Mathews?

Not usually, but I think this year will be different.

I'll know more next week, haven't been on the gila in two weeks