Sign in to follow this  
PseAZ

Farrell Hogs?

Has anyone on her had the chance to hunt and eat them? Im sure quite a few had? Im going on a hunt next week and was hoping to fill the cooler up but was wondering how they taste and how you guys go about cooking them?

just try and stay away from the big old boars. I usually smoke them whole. I think they taste great. If you do get a pretty stinky old boar make tamales out of it.

Guest akaspecials

They taste just like supermarket pork without the fat. Don't expect any bacon and add fat to any sausage you make. If we kill any over 100 lbs we leave them lay because they start tasting foul. Right around 60-70 lbs is the perfect hog; great tasting meat, tender, and easy to handle.

I got one a few years back and it was awesome. She was a decent size sow. If I remember right I got back about 60 pounds from the butcher. That hog was some of the best tasting pork I have ever ate. All we ever did was salt and pepper the pork chops and throw them on the grill. Nothing fancy and those BBQs are still talked about to this day. Good Stuff. Good Luck.

The first one I shot was a 160lb sow. I asked about bacon, but it can't happen. I had the loins done into chops and all the rest done into breakfast sausage. My wife couldn't wait for me to get another one. I shot two more right at about 70-100lbs, and had both breakfast sausage and mild Italian sausage done. It was great.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks for the heads up guys, Im gunna try and shoot a few if we get the chance. I'll have 2 days to hunt. Im going to try and fill up the cooler. Talked to the G&F out there and they want us to shoot as many as we can I guess there becoming a real problem. Id like to bring as much meat home as I can tho they sound pretty good. Could make some awesome red and green chili with it I bet as well.

• Like 1