Sign in to follow this  
ArcheryOnly

New to site, new to Coues

Hey y'all, my name is Devon and I'm from Va. I've been hunting east coast whitetail since I could walk and have had a bow in my hand since about the age of 9 or 10. I'm 23 now and have been stationed in California for about three years. I shot my first mule deer last year out here in Cali and have became obsessed with spot and stalk hunting. I've always dreamed of hunting coues deer and the more I read into it the more I learned of the OTC archery tag and realized I could make it a reality. That being said, I know nothing about Az. Any and all help or advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I've made two scouting trips so far this year and have found some small deer herds here and there but I was mainly just admiring the landscape to see what was out there! I'm not necessarily worried about harvesting a giant or even harvesting a deer in general, I'm honestly not expecting to my first year out but I'd like to at least see some animals and get some filming done! I just want to learn as much as I can. I've been looking into units 32 and 33 but am up for anything, I don't mind hiking at all and prefer to hike way in and get away from crowds! Again, any insight is huge for this Az newbie!

Welcome to the site and to CW. Lots of good info on Az game and fish website, but I think you are on a good path with unit 32 and 33. Both have good populations of Coues.

If I may offer one suggestion. Usually during the Archery hunts, (August, Dec, and Jan) finding a Coues buck will not be the challenge. It will be making it all come together with archery tackle. I really enjoy backpack hunts and normally prefer to get away from the crowds myself, but in these hunts, the best recipe for success will be multiple attempts, shots, stalks etc...on Coues bucks. For that reason I don't always recommend spending your energy "getting away". Spend your energy and your time getting close.

Good luck to you!

• Like 3

Feel free to give me a call. I should be able to give you enough info to give you a huge head start.

Adam

928-595-1554

• Like 1

If your currently in the military you should really consider hunting Ft. Huachuca. Don't know if you have to be Army but it's worth looking into.

• Like 4

Adam- thanks for the offer, I will most likely take you up on that one of these evenings this week, what time is best for you?

OpticNerd- I haven't actually thought of that so thank you, one of the weekends I was out there I scouted just south of there but that's a good idea. I'm in the Marines but I'm sure they would still allow acces. I'll have to put a call in over there and see what the regs are

They will make an exception for marines at Ft. Huachuca! Haha. If you get back this way I'm right by post Id be happy to show you around. And for sure would look real hard at hunting on post. Lots of deer up there.

Lots of good coues populations from Phx area all the way down to the border. If you hunt down by the border (don't let illegal immigration bother you, I hunt down there all the time) you see a lot of country that looks similar to central California with rolling hills and oaks. If your planning on a hunt I would at least look into javalina application for the January archery tag (same time as your archery OTC. Wouldn't be so bad if your back in your unit and find a herd of pigs.

+1 for huachuca. Spent a lot of time hunting there over the years, plenty of coues in T1-T3 and the U portions. With huachuca just be aware that they can close any or all of the units at a moments notice for training.

T1,T2,T3 are closed and has been for the last few years.The fort is a prime tag,and is easier to draw if you qualify.

As far as I know you can hunt Ft Huachuca with a military ID. And there are deer there for sure. I was stationed there for a few years. It's a tiny base population wise with a lot of open country and some really nice canyons. Mountain lions too so be aware of your surroundings. Feel free to PM me and I can fill you in on what I know.