Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

2017 Power Wagon reviews?

Anyone have any reviews on the new 2017 Power Wagon? I am looking at new trucks and have a 2006 F150 FX4 now and getting ready to replace it. I like the PW setup with solid front and rears, detachable fronts, better clearance etc....

I know the new F150s come with a ton of stuff and I do like the bucket seats with the center console shifter. The f250s are great and are column shifter, but then not sure if I really need to go with a ford or ram in 2500 series. I don't do a lot of towing, but do a lot of scouting, hunting and camping and think the Ram PW would be a better fit.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks

Andrew

You won't go wrong with the Ford F-250 for comfort and durability after 2011 for sure. I have found the seats in the dodge do not fit me well. But can spend 10-12 hour road trips comfy in f-250.

The Power Wagon is a full size, go anywhere do anything truck. I had a 2006 and the truck was awesome. I only got rid of it because my company car was going bye bye and I needed a more fuel efficient truck. A good friend of mine has one as well. His is a 2013' which is the last year of the leaf sprung rear end. They are great trucks and if you are looking for info about them, I would suggest you go to the Power Wagon Registry Forum: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org

I had an 06. The trucks are unstoppable. Fuel mileage sucks, but that's to be expected. Car and Driver recently did an article about it. Three way competition between the new Power Wagon, Colorado, and Raptor. Power Wagon won.

I have a 17 2500 ram tradesman with 6.4 hemi. ordered off road package and .410 gears. other than the winch and front posi I have a power wagon. You will never disconnect your front swaybar while off roading unless you are a serious wheeler. Save lots of money that way.

If the PW had a diesel I would be tempted to trade in my '04 2500. I get around 17 mpg around town and up to 20 if I keep the speed down on the highway. I understand the 6.4L in the PW gets 11 in town. Range is important for me and my 2500 has gotten me out of places I shouldn't have put it into. I did invest in a fuel tank skid plate and front hitch that doubles as a front cooler stack guard, so I have about the same level of protection as the PW I believe.

The current truck selection is awesome and I bet the hardest part is picking something out of all those options. Let us know what works for you.

I love my 1500 outdoorsman it has some of the extra off road add ons extra ground clearance, little extra power etc . I was in the same boat as you I don't do much towing but always down a dirt road. Worth checking them out I love mine

I have a 17 2500 ram tradesman with 6.4 hemi. ordered off road package and .410 gears. other than the winch and front posi I have a power wagon. You will never disconnect your front swaybar while off roading unless you are a serious wheeler. Save lots of money that way.

Sounds like you have a nice truck, but not the same animal at all. Power Wagon is factory lifted. It has a reinforced frame with additional ladder bracing. Front and rear lockers. 4.56 gears. Throttle response control in 4 low. It also uses 1 ton axle shafts. The Power Wagon also has full skids under the entire under carriage, and they aren't just flimsy crap like some of the other manufacturers put on their trucks. You mentioned the winch. The sway bar disconnect is actually very useful for articulation to keep the wheels on the ground where traction is provided.

I see more useful adds on the PW that are geared for offroad/hunting style. I think Fords are much more refined and luxurious. The Raptor is nice but is more of a racer high speed and PW a workhorse fkr offroading.

The new F150s are spendy in the 65k range and almost seem to pretty to get dirty. We dont buy trucks for milage but for their use.

Sounds like you have a nice truck, but not the same animal at all. Power Wagon is factory lifted. It has a reinforced frame with additional ladder bracing. Front and rear lockers. 4.56 gears. Throttle response control in 4 low. It also uses 1 ton axle shafts. The Power Wagon also has full skids under the entire under carriage, and they aren't just flimsy crap like some of the other manufacturers put on their trucks. You mentioned the winch. The sway bar disconnect is actually very useful for articulation to keep the wheels on the ground where traction is provided.
You are correct I am missing the front posi,it does have the skid plates. My point was my version while lacking some bells ans whistles is about 20k cheaper and still a good off road full size truck. Trust me if money wasnt the issue I would have the power wagon..

You are correct I am missing the front posi,it does have the skid plates. My point was my version while lacking some bells ans whistles is about 20k cheaper and still a good off road full size truck. Trust me if money wasnt the issue I would have the power wagon..

When I was shopping for my 2006, I was also opting for a new one. This was in late 2013 and early 2014. I wanted the previous generation due to the shorter wheel base and really didn't need that much space in the back seat area, so ultimately I went used. At that time, and I realize this was 3.5 years ago, a Tradesman Power Wagon could be purchased brand new for $38,000......the dealers were blowing them out due to 2013's still being on the lot and the next model year already out. My buddy bought his new 2013 Tradesman for this price. Maybe the prices have gone up tremendously since then due to the Power Wagon finally catching some popularity??? Not sure.

Cheapest local "advertised" price I am seeing locally is about $45,000, so they have probably gone up a little since I was looking. And a correction to my previous post, it looks like the new Power Wagons are now 4.10 gears instead of 4.56. Dodge should have never changed this, but it may have something to do with using the 6.4 Hemi now and/or trying to keep up with the EPA and fuel economy.

The only experience I have with the new version of PW is my sis-n-law's. Her's is a 2012 I believe. Great truck. Gets around 12mpg. I wish they offered it with a diesel...but apparently there isn't enough room, with the integrated winch...and that would incresse price. I think it is way over capable for what the average hunter needs. You get into stuff it's capable of, you'll probably beat it up. My 2014 Ram diesel handles pretty rough obstacles as is. Regarding the seat comfort, get the luxury package upgrade...it makes a difference. I've never been a dodge fan. This is my first. I must say, I am impressed.

Back in 1979 I drove a freinds 1960-something PW for a while. Now that's a piece of impressive machinery...tank, tractor, chuckwagon all in one truck.

• Like 2