Sign in to follow this  
NMMuledeer777

New Boots

Trying to decide which new boots to get. I am looking for uninsulated models. I have my eye on the Crispi Idaho GTX and the Zamberlan Lynx Mid GTX. Whats your input, opinions, and or suggestions/recommendations.

Thank you

Depending on the area you're hunting... the Danner Pronghorns are the only way I go. Yes, a bit on the pricey side but worth every penny. After intense hikes, my feet are just fine. They're the only thing that holds up to Coues country IMO. Good luck.

• Like 1

No offense to the above post but Danner pronghorns do not hold up at all compared to a real good quality boot. I have had multiple pairs of danner pronghorns and they have their place for sure. I have never used the Crispi Idaho, but I have the Crispi Wyoming and I love them, I've been very happy with the fit and comfort. The sole is very quiet, but has also held up well for me. The fit with Crispi is better than most boots I've worn, including all things Danner, Vasque, Kenetrek and a few others.

• Like 2

I have wore the danner pronghorn for many years. The US made ones were VERY sturdy and held up great, but gave me blisters on my toes and heels and are HEAVY. The non-US ones are garbage. I have the Zamberlain gtx as well. Nice boots but run a little large and are "sloppy" on my feet. I have two different styles of Lowa gtx right now and have been using them for the past 3 years. LOVE them. For my foot they are the best desert boot. Light weight and rugged with good support and traction.

Most of the high-end boots are going to be "good", it just depends on what YOUR foot likes.

Salomon quests have been great the past few seasons. I run them with a lanthrop and sons synergy footbed. Paid 130 for the boots and 60 for the insoles.

Salomon quests have been great the past few seasons. I run them with a lanthrop and sons synergy footbed. Paid 130 for the boots and 60 for the insoles.

Love my salomon's 4d's. Most of them were on sale recently excpet my size fore some reason.

No offense to the above post but Danner pronghorns do not hold up at all compared to a real good quality boot. I have had multiple pairs of danner pronghorns and they have their place for sure. I have never used the Crispi Idaho, but I have the Crispi Wyoming and I love them, I've been very happy with the fit and comfort. The sole is very quiet, but has also held up well for me. The fit with Crispi is better than most boots I've worn, including all things Danner, Vasque, Kenetrek and a few others.

Hey Houston, what are your thoughts on these Crispi boot for ankle support? Do you feel you get pretty good support with an 8 inch versus a 10 inch?

I hate wearing a 10" boot, and from all that I've read and studied the main thing a taller boot gives you is ankle protection, not support. The support is dependent quite a bit on the stiffness of the shank and not the height.

All that being said I took 120+ lbs off an incredibly steep mtn in AK on my Goat hunt and the boots did great, me on the other hand was pretty beat up.

• Like 1

I have been using Danners for the past 5 years or so. They have served me well but looking to try something a little more high end. I know every persons feet are different and it really depends on what works for that individual. Was just wanting to see what everyones opinions were. Mainly to steer clear of bad boots. And maybe check out some that i havent heard of before. I appreciate all the input.

Lowa was another brand to look at. A person i know has Salomons but i didnt really like them that much.

Best bet is going to be finding a place to try differnt boots on.

The old Vasque Sundowners are by far the best boot I have ever had. I'm currently on year 8 for my Kenentrek Hardscrabbles, and the soles are just about done. They've been a dang fine boot as well.

The old Vasque Sundowners are by far the best boot I have ever had. I'm currently on year 8 for my Kenentrek Hardscrabbles, and the soles are just about done. They've been a dang fine boot as well.

I loved my ol vasque sundowners, its nice having those Kenetrek resoled. I think back 6 years ago it was $80??? Not sure the price now.

A couple years ago it was $150 for Kentrek resole. And they came back a half size to small. I couldn't wear them and gave them away. I was not happy.

I hate buying boots. I am using some Pronghorns I bought in 2013 but they are a bit tight as it seems all other boots I try on. Maybe in part to have a pretty good arch too. Those soles separated in a few places but I bought a tube of the tent repair glue at REI 2 years ago and they are still holding together well just wearing the lugs down. I like them because they broke in the first 100' I wore them and they are lightweight. I have tried on most of the high dollar boots but even in EW they are tight.

I also have a pair of UA Bozemans which are not too had but they are better uphill than down.