Sign in to follow this  
azruger

20 gauge or .410

Anyone in tucson area have a inexpensive 20 gauge or .410 I can pick up for my daughter to start wit for dove this year.

Guest oneshot

20gauge instead of a .410... .410 is really a gun for super shooters/experts...

If you don't care if they hit anything, the light recoil is perfect. Btw, you can get light recoil loads for a 20 that give the kid a chance to hit something. Getting skunked as a kid is a good way to not want to go dove hunting again

• Like 1

Whether you go with a 20 or a 410, choose a shotgun with a modified choke and a load with #8 shot. There is little difference in recoil between a 20ga 7/8oz load or a 3/4oz 410 load, FYI. If you choose the 2 1/2oz. 410 load (which does have lower recoil, another important factor to consider is pellet count. For size #7 1/2 shot vs. #8, the count is about 50 pellets less per oz. for 7 1/2. I taught junior trap and skeet in my younger days and a 20ga with a modified choke and #9 shot was always the best choice 9 out of 10 times. I don't think you'll find much #9 shot but #8 is a good alternative.

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington, both in 20 gauge. My boys are shooting 12 gauges now. Both are excellent with very very few rounds. Also have some ammo.

Jim 520 349-2926

What happened? You were supposed to buy my shotgun, remember? Well it is still for sale if you want it same price...Let me know...520--850-0084...In Tucson...