mruda1

Clothing for a Coues backpack hunt

I've got pranas going on their fourth season this year. Some minor pilling on the lower legs. Been drug through the worst parts of 22 and 24b. They do not pretect against century plants or cholla as well as carhartts but they also don't weigh a ton or rub you raw. And they are about half the cost of anything first lite, Sitka, or kuiu.

Another budget pant that I buy every time I see are the UB techs from Costco. They are $20 and are 94% nylon and 6% spandex. Super comfortable and are of similar design as pranas and kuhl pants. I have a 1.5 seasons in em and they are holding up well.

Costco to the rescue... again!

When I started pack hunting I would load my pack with everything I thought I needed and weigh it. Then I would sit down with a scale, unload it and weigh everything. When you start judging things by usefulness vs weight You will keep the most necessary items and discard the not so necessary ones. Your pack becomes lighter. I knew what every individual item in my pack weighed.

Compare notes with other members and eliminate duplicate items where possible. Not everyone needs their own stove.

Mountain house meals are pretty good.

Lithium batteries are lighter and last much longer than alkaline.

Look for multi use items. We carried water proof windbreakers and no rain poncho.

Cache water on a scouting trip. It will probably be the heaviest part of the groups load. Hang it, mice will chew through containers on the ground.

My partner and I got it to where we could operate up to 5 days in the wilderness. With excess water dumped and garbage burnt one of us could carry all the gear and the other could pack an animal out. Good memories, we are both a little to old and beat up to push it that hard anymore.

I've got pranas going on their fourth season this year. Some minor pilling on the lower legs. Been drug through the worst parts of 22 and 24b. They do not pretect against century plants or cholla as well as carhartts but they also don't weigh a ton or rub you raw. And they are about half the cost of anything first lite, Sitka, or kuiu.

Another budget pant that I buy every time I see are the UB techs from Costco. They are $20 and are 94% nylon and 6% spandex. Super comfortable and are of similar design as pranas and kuhl pants. I have a 1.5 seasons in em and they are holding up well.

Is Costco carrying these right now? Would like to try them out. Looks good for the price...

Haven't been there in a couple months. I go to the country club and baseline store

In Mesa? There's not one there...

I'm going to have to check the local costco here in town. Thanks.

Is Costco carrying these right now? Would like to try them out. Looks good for the price...

The Costco at PV Mall carries them as of Saturday. I bought some last year and they are great pants for the money. Comfortable and are very durable.