varnco

Late Bull 7e- trailcams?

Going up to 7E to get familiar with unit this month.

Is it worth it to put up a few trail cameras or a waste of time at this point, since the bulls will be long gone by December?

Thanks

not worth it unless you don't care if they grow legs and walk off, lots of people will be out with archery deer and scouting for hunts

• Like 1

Wait. After that last October hunt those woods get much more quiet. Alot less chance it walks away.

I was up there last year after the deer hunt and cow hunts scouting for my December cow hunt. I didn't see a single person for 1.5 days, and I cover alot of ground.

Scout hard. That late hunt isn't easy.

I was up last weekend. Saw 6 different cameras. They are all going to have some funny pictures on them however.... ;)

Just finished scouting, having a bite at miz zips.

Saw one 5x5, 24 deer, and a lot of area that are burned and have no trees.

Didn't find a "deep I am not going there canyon" yet. Was on the west side around white horse hills.

Good to get the lay of the land

Didn't find a "deep I am not going there canyon" yet. Was on the west side around white horse hills.

Go farther east and you will find more of that nasty terrain. In december don't be afraid to look in terrain you may not normally consider elk country too.

• Like 1

those white horse hills get pounded.

Ya, saddle mountain gets pounded as well.

Don't think either locations are big opportunities in December.

Did find one location with opportunity.

Found quite a few closed/no longer there roads which is good to know.

post-12699-0-72427400-1503847706_thumb.jpg

Just got back. Saw very few bulls, but, saw quite a few cows this trip, which is good. Saw tons of deer, and a few decent bucks. Glassed about 11 hours over 50+ miles of hills.

In december I doubt you will find many bulls around saddle mountain and white horse hills. They will have already started to scatter to lower elevation.

You will find lots of hunters and a few cows.

In december I doubt you will find many bulls around saddle mountain and white horse hills. They will have already started to scatter to lower elevation.

Hmmmm. That's the opposite of what some folks here have been telling me: find the "I am not going into that deep canyon" and you'll find bulls there.

Hmmmm. That's the opposite of what some folks here have been telling me: find the "I am not going into that deep canyon" and you'll find bulls there.

If it stays warm you might find some, but last year white horse was covered in snow. You will find alot of hunt pressure, that is for sure.

The elk are going to head off of the hill and go north from now until October. I would start scouting about a month before the hunt. Snow can also make big changes too. Now would be a good time to learn the roads. I would start to the far north and work towards the big hill.

Thanks! Main goal was to learn roads, find areas I am not going to hunt, and look for those dark canyons with nearby areas to feed.