Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Hunting brain farts

Went on a 4 day hunt with a friend, and he left his ammo at home. I gave him a single shell and told to make it count. We both used 7 mm rem.

How'd that work out?

He saw deer that week but never had a good shot opportunity, Im sure his confidence level wasn't very high. I shot a wby. for several years, now its a habit to keep a box of shells in the glove box, one in the pack and two in the rifle case. Cant find find those in small rural stores. Now I shoot a 270.

Things I forgot:

• Tag on Turkey hunt
  • Knife on Turkey Hunt (used plastic picnic knife to clean Turkey)
  • Didn't forget ammo on deer hunt but brought boxes of 30-06 ammo for 7mm mag rifle
  • matches (more than once)

I'm sure there are more things but I can't remember now

• Like 1

Oh, and I forgot the funniest thing I ever forgot. On a winter hunt I remembered my boots, but left and right boot were from different pairs. Even my wife laughed at me.No idea how I did it as they a NOTHING alike. This was the pic I texted her:

post-3913-0-59042000-1503944043_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

My partner and I shoot the same bow. When he does something stupid and knows it it's easy to tell. He gets this look on his face like the guilty puppy that peed on the carpet again. One year I got an elk. We moved up set our gear on a log and started dressing it. We could hear another herd coming right towards us so he grabbed his gear and went to get himself an elk. He returned a little while later with that sheepish look on his face and placed my left-handed bow back on the log next to his right hand model. Would love to have seen the look on his face when he tried to knock an arrow and draw.

• Like 2

I have had hunt buddies not be able to find tags, and we have had to stop at G&F for a replacement on the way out of town more than once.

I usually pack to a list so I don't usually forget a lot of things I can't live without. The things I have forgotten someone else had or I didn't really need.

My buddy got a few shots last year during our late elk hunt. He took 3 shots, all misses because he messed up the range, and then realized his extra ammo was in his pack which he left in the truck...

I retrieved them and worked my way to him, but it was too late by the time I got there. We couldn't get another clear shot.

My dad did forget shotgun shells 1 year when we were headed out dove hunting. We scrounged a couple boxes from a mom & pop gas station near Wickenburg so we didn't have to drive all the way back to Phoenix.

Forgot tent once.

Forgot all the non fridge food. At least we had cold beer and steaks.

This one will probably top them all. A couple days into my 2012 Unit 1 Archery bull elk hunt, I set my bow down on the ground leaning up against the front right tire of my truck. Guy comes down the road on a quad and we get to talking. Mentions that he is done and pulled his camera off a little spot up the ridge. Well after he left I jumped in the truck to check it out real quick and backed out onto the road. Realized I forgot my bow, but forgot it was next to the tire. Pulled back in and ran over my bow! Of course saw a nice 6x6 under 30 yards that evening with no bow to shoot. Bought a backup bow (recurve) almost immediately after getting home.

Here's your sign! What do I win?

• Like 1

Several years ago, I drove from Flagstaff to Laredo to deer hunt with my brother-in-law. We got there, and as I was unpacking, I realized I forgot to pack my good Smartwool socks (or any socks). My wife's sister went to the Target in Laredo and got me a 6-pack of ordinary Hanes black socks to wear for the hunt. One of my favorite brain farts because they ended up being my favorite socks for everyday wear ever!

Last year, during that cold snap in January, we finally glassed up a herd of javelina for my daughter. I hadn't been out of the truck much because it was so darn cold, so most of my gear was still in the back seat. We got about 300 yards from the truck when I realized I'd left my binos in the backseat. Luckily, I had my rangefinder around my neck, so I could use that to glass with.

On my first ever javelina hunt, we did the 30b HAM hunt since we'd deer hunted down there. I was brand new to archery, but took my 1911 with me. We got on a herd first thing, but my buddy (more experienced at archery?) told me it was too thick for archery and suggested I use my pistol. I crept to about 20 yards from a perfectly broadside pig in the open (wishing I had my bow), raised my pistol to shoot and heard the distinct "CLICK" of an empty chamber. I'd been out shooting the weekend before and, after cleaning and reassembling the pistol, I'd apparently forgotten to reload it. I was always taught that an empty chamber is no way to protect yourself. When I grabbed my pistol to go hunt, I automatically assumed it was loaded and ready to roll. I could hear my dad, the seasoned combat vet, cussing me fiercely that morning as I racked a round in the chamber and watched the entire herd bust in front of me with no shot. Now, I like to think I invented catch and release hunting!

I'm sure there are others, but I'm pretty sure I've blocked them out. I now make lists and frequently check the chambers, even its every 20-30 minutes.

Back in 2005 or 2006, a small group of us had spring turkey tags in 27 and we were far, far away from anywhere resembling society. As we were gearing up the night before, my buddy realized that he grabbed a box of 12 gauge slugs instead of turkey loads. I gave him two extra 3.5" shells I had and ended up getting them back at the end of the hunt. This was the same buddy that drove down to Tucson when we lived there and we were going to head out shooting for a morning. Jokingly, I said "don't forget the ammo this time". When we got to the range, he realized he'd left his ammo back at my house.

I have never forgotten anything vital (tag, rifle, ammo, boots, binos). But always seem to forget a piece of camping gear. One year, we packed up the tent, but left the stakes and frame at home. Another year, I had to whittle a fork and spoon as I forgot to pack silverware. Another year, between three of us, nobody packed eggs or bread, but we each showed up with a couple of pounds of bacon.

My brother-in-law forgot his elk tag for a unit 22 elk hunt. Fortunately we were able to meet my sister in Florence to get the tag rather than go all the way to Tucson. Got back to camp around 2AM, but he did have his tag for the opener.

• Like 1

I lost a range finder once. I forgot my camera at the kill site once, had to go the following morning to get it back. Also I left my hat at my glassing spot, recovered the following year.

• Like 2

Great stuff. I actually feel better about my brain farts. The worst was leaving all the frozen food in the freezer in the garage, but we always pack so much food this wasn't that bad. Once I walked off from a sitting stand leaving my hiking pole behind. I was able to track back to it using my GPS. I didn't mark the stand, but just followed the track until there was a hiking pole in the way. Yes it was stuck in the ground.

My most common forgotten item is a rifle sling. I can make a pretty good one out of para cord and a prusik knot having had to do this several times. Now I have an extra in my camping "bug out bin."

My first archery elk hunt was a comedy of errors.

Anyways....second morning I get to my spot at around 4am as I had a long trek to get into a nice drainage that had screaming bulls the evening before. I'm walking in the dark, hearing bugles in the distance. I was stoked. Get to my spot and stop to get a game plan. I then realized I forgot my release. I was close to 2 miles from my truck.

I was actually glad I didn't see a bull that morning. I had no confidence in my ability to shoot my compound with fingers. I think subconsciously I cashed it in for that morning hunt. I was pissed.

Bought a second backup release that stays in my pack.

• Like 1

I lost a range finder once. I forgot my camera at the kill site once, had to go the following morning to get it back. Also I left my hat at my glassing spot, recovered the following year.

I think you need a blaze orange case. Still can't get over that we didn't find it.